1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Plow with an F-250 LD?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mitragorz, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I posted this in the Ford section, but I think it might get better visibility over here.

I've been specifically looking for an F-230/-350, GM 2500/3500, etc. I've found a 1999 "light-duty" F-250 on CL for a pretty reasonable price. From what I understand, this "placeholder" model is basically an F-150 with the plow prep package. Just a bigger rear axle and a heavier front end. And 7-lug wheels.

Compared to the regular F-250, the LD also has a less beefy frame, smaller tranny, IFS, and smaller rear axle (10.25 on the LD vs 10.5 on the SD).

So does anybody plow with the LD F-250? I'm looking to be doing a mix of sub and residential. I was also toying with the idea of subbing for the town, but not sure if this truck would be up for it.

2. TruckFixer

TruckFixer Junior Member
    from 60563

I plowed commercially with a 1998 Ford F150 for 9 years before the truck got totaled. It handled the 8ft Western Unimount pretty well, just remember it's a half ton, and you won't be moving mountains. When front end components fail, replace with greaseable parts, and take the plow off unless you're plowing. I know two guys with trucks like you're talking about, they do pretty well too, Just don't abuse it.

3. PPP

PPP Member

Those are great trucks. One of Fords best kept secrets. They often sell for dirt cheap. I have a 2000 F-150 7700 which is what the F250 LD became after 1999. Just Google it. They are phenominal. They have a 7700 GVW and they are much better then a Regular F-150. Look up the F-150 7700 and see what they are about. Mine has been secondary truck and it pushes a Fisher MM2 7.6 ft plow like a champ. It also fills in as an extra truck when needed in the summer and has hauled my equipment trailer and Bobcat locally with ease and it refuses to break down. The IFS rides smooth. Mine hs 4:10's or something close to that and only gets around 10-12mpg.