1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Plow with a F-250 LD?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mitragorz, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I've been specifically looking for an F-230/-350, GM 2500/3500, etc. I've found a 1999 "light-duty" F-250 on CL for a pretty reasonable price. From what I understand, this "placeholder" model is basically an F-150 with the plow prep package. Just a bigger rear axle and a heavier front end. And 7-lug wheels.

Compared to the regular F-250, the LD also has a less beefy frame, smaller tranny, IFS, and smaller rear axle (10.25 on the LD vs 10.5 on the SD).

So does anybody plow with the LD F-250? I'm looking to be doing a mix of sub and residential. I was also toying with the idea of subbing for the town, but not sure if this truck would be up for it.

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You have to put a lighter duty plow on it. Run like 8 -900 pounds of ballast in the bed. The frame is the same as other trucks. The axles and transmission are lighter duty. It has torsion bar front suspension instead of springs. Mine has 4 wheel disk brakes and ABS. It has the 5.4 engine. The wheels are 7 lug 150 circle, a rare wheel. I had to buy used, sand blast and paint, when my fake chrome one got a rust hole in it.

3. Mitragorz

Mitragorz Senior Member

I went to go look at it, and oh man what a piece of crap it was. I was literally PEELING the frame apart, everything was rusted. It'd been sitting for years. The hyrdo piston on the plow was all pitted... He was asking way too much, I don't know if he could give the thing away. The linkage between the 4WD shifter and the xfer case was so rusted that it broke when he tried to engage it...

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

My Dad always told me : NEVER BUY A USED PLOW TRUCK! I have to laugh when a sealership tries to sell me one. I play with their mind looking at it. I looked at one with a Boss V. A F-350 that would not even start and plow would not lift or V. By the time I walked away the price was less then the plow was worth.