1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody plow with a 04 1500 dodge

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Greg Aquila, Mar 7, 2006.

1. Greg Aquila

Greg Aquila Member

Thinking of putting a 8' western on my 04 dodge 1500. Anybody ever put a 8' plow on a newer dodge.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2006
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I have a Blizzard 760LT on mine. Handles great. I think an 8 footer would be a little big for a 1500.

3. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Ram Pushers Union meeting

:waving: Greg,
    I have an 01' 1500 shrtbed I agree I wound't go bigger then an 7'6". If you want it yo go wider then you can add a set of wings. That's what I've decided to do this year and I'm glad I did it! The wings add 18- 20" ? So it makes it around a 9' plow :) I'm not sure on sizes I just put then on and started pushing. I don't know what your preference is for plows but, I'll say go with what makes you comfortable.:rolleyes: Western, Blizzard, Meyers whatever!

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:
  4. Greg Aquila

Greg Aquila Member

ya a lot of people told me don't put a 8' on a newer dodge so i guess i'll stick with a 7'6" western pro plow. Thanks !!
  5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

is it a crew cab shortbed?
  6. Greg Aquila

Greg Aquila Member

ya its a crew cab shortbed !!
  7. harleyrider67

harleyrider67 Member

Hey Greg,

I have a 7-6 BOSS standard duty on my 2004 Ram QC Hemi and it works great!

I would suggest having the Timbrens installed as well with a plow, it helps out the IFS that the 1/2 tons have. I have been real happy with my setup, problem is there sure was not enough snow this year.

Take Care!
  8. Greg Aquila

Greg Aquila Member

This is a test picture !!!!!!!!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  9. Greg Aquila

Greg Aquila Member

Test picture !!!!

10. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

Well im thinking about plowing with either a 1500 or a 2500 diesel. Would they handle OK? I was told a GMC 1500 would take a beating but ive also been told that the solid front axel on the dodge make it better for plowing. Feedback would be appreciated.

11. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you haven't bought a truck yet. Get a 2500. You will be much happier. You can have a bigger blade and you won't tear up your truck as badly.
  12. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

I agree if you have not gotten one yet, go with a 2500. It will stand up to plowing a lot better. Getting a 2500 is not that much more $$. Dodges 2500 and 3500 have a solid axle unlike Chevy. I think that 1/2 IFS would get tired too fast. Plus, think about warranty. If something breaks on that suspension even with the plow off and not related Dodge may not like seeing a mount on that truck and might say TS.
  13. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

wouldn't recomend putting a plow on a crew cab. i'd use a 1500 crew cab for the sidewalk crew or for getting groceries.
  14. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Full Agreement !

I know this thread is a little old but, there is someone out there that will read this! When I get the chance I plan on moving up to a 2500 or 250 whatever. I know I'm "Ram Tough" but, I'm a little fearful pushing with my 1500 shortbox.:eek:

Pale Rider :gunsfiring:
  15. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

You'll be fine for residential or light commercial.
  16. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Go with the 8', you'll never regret it. Alot of people told me that to. Check the specs. An 8' only wieghs no more than 40 to 50 lbs. Don't tell me that 50 lbs. are gonning to make or break your truck. I think the 8' it still too small now. Next blade it gonna be 9' 6".
  17. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

I have a very good friend that has a BOSS 9' 2" Steel vee on his 2003 1500 Regular cab short box Dodge. He also has a 16' SwingWing on the rear. There are about 5 or 6 guys with the exact same setup in our neck of the woods.

We currently run a BOSS 8' 2" Poly vee and a 16' SwingWing on our 99 1500 Regular cab Short box. Trucks are awesome for drives, do pretty good on commercials too.

Just a thought.
  18. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

Well you have that extra 50 lbs and then you need the power and truck to clear an extra 6" of snow as you go... it isn't just the weight.
  19. Jt13speed

Jt13speed Senior Member

Hey Jon Geer, so what do you end up having to replace with 9'2 Boss V on the front end of a 1500 after a plowing season? Do the plows get taken off or left on full time? Any possibility of pictures of those setups?? Honestly a truck is a truck and i dont think thats any different then any other guy out there with them 810 and 8611LP blizzards on their diesel crew cabs...thats just my opinion though...not that im against it because im not, i love trucks to much to let that bother me. haha

As for a 8ft on your 1500, this post is kinda old but anyways, i think there was a guy on here that was running a 8ft western unimount on his 03 crew cab ram 1500...if you make enough money plowing with it and are willing to keep up on the maintenance, should be alright.
  20. Alaska Tim

Alaska Tim Member
    from Alaska

Lotsa reads..

Good stuff !!
    "Get er done !!!"