1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody plow w/ a ramcharger?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cornbinder, Nov 14, 2005.

1. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

i just purchased the 1988 ramcharger on ebay w/ a western set-up[ minus blade. just wondering how many of you plow with a "ram ruster"? and how you like it and what problems i should look out for, or know about. what trans. did these come with?727, 904? any input would be great!! thanks, pete

RODHALL Senior Member

An R/C should do OK.
    They are better balanced then most trucks.

88 Should be the 727/ 208 transfer case The biggest issues I have had are Steering Cup goes bad quickly (Replace it with a bogerson shaft and be done with it) And the CAD on the front Axle not engaging. There are 2 ways to fix it. 1 removes the vacuum and make it cable operated or 2 find a 72-84 Dodge Dana 44 (certain year Chevy Dana 44 also work) and pull the long axle out and remove the CAD all together. You also have to make a block off plate for where the CAD is on the housing.
  3. ta3834bbl

ta3834bbl Senior Member

All I had for plow trucks were Ramchargers before I got my 01. I loved them. Nice tight turning radius, great traction, killer heaters, good strong tranny. I did put 3/4 ton axles under mine but still had a 44 in the front, but that was because I off roaded it in the summer with 35 inch tires and towed heavy trailers (big brakes). The only thing I would have liked on mine were heated rear window as it fogged up . My brothers 92 RC was the only one I ever saw with a rear defroster from the factory.