1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody making their own salt water

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by parrothead, Nov 28, 2003.

1. parrothead

parrothead Senior Member

i would like to try and treat some lots with some liquid equipment that i've got. was wondering if anybody had experience with how many pounds per gallons of water i would need to use to make it work. thanks, rob

2. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Most (or all?) liquid deicers use magnesium chloride, or calcium chloride not regular salt (sodium chloride). Once the sodium chloride liquid melts the ice and snow it quickly becomes diluted, causing the ice to reform. The other products have a lower freezing point than salt so the dilution with the melted ice (water) is not as much a problem.:dizzy:

3. capital

capital Senior Member

I would need more information regarding what type of product you are talking about applying................IE are you pre spraying with brine or applying after you have plowed the parking lot? We use brine for pre treatment and then after we are done plowing decide if we should use calcium or brine again depending on temps and weather conditions. If you are in Illinois suspect you are prob faced with same problems we are. IE snow falls when temps are in the 20's then begin to rapidly fall as the northern front moves through causing temps to head toward 0. In those cases we switch to calcium.

4. Natesnomow

Natesnomow Junior Member

Capital

We do the same as you, but we only use salt brine. We pre-ice and then usually apply after depending on the condition. Some accounts they want us to spray after we plowed to make sure the lot is extra clear.

Caleb

5. capital

capital Senior Member

Regarding how many pounds of salt per gallon to make brine. This does not really apply. We make our batchs in 350 gallon production system and depending on the temp of the water and other factors can go through 500 to 750 pounds to get to 87.7%. We have run test after snow events trying to use brine but have not had much luck due to falling temps. However do find it great as a pretreat.