1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody made a grille gard...like this one

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by TJS, Jan 14, 2008.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Wish Boss made one! :cry:
  3. MarksTLC

MarksTLC Senior Member

I have a Westin Bull bar that will no longer bolt to the frame. I was considering going to the local custom welding shop and see if he can make something to sit in the subframe, that I can then bolt the bull bar too.
    Just haven't taken the time to do it. Thanks for the reminder... :nod:
  4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

There maybe 30 bucks worth of steel in the Westin bars. I would never pay 200.00 for that thing. I know I know the time to design and build is where they get the $$ for it. That is why I make all I can.
  5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

The one that TJS posted sure does look a lot tougher than the Ultimate Bull Bar IMO. In the end, if you hit something good enough almost every bull bar or grille guard will bend. Anything will bend short of a mjor steel bumper.
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It's very simple to make one. We made a tow bar that hooks up to our harness so we can pull the trucks behind tractors and our grain trucks. Works really well.
  7. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Have you looked ar Fisher's ProTube?
  8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I am really not looking to make it act like a bumper. More for looks and to put some lights on it. I know that I will have to make some horizontal support flat stock to the bolts that currently hold the front bumper to the frame horns. For an 02 F-250 superduty. I know of a huge flaw in all these grille/brush guards if you do hit something, the grille brush guard is going to damage the grille, hood and who knows what else when it is pushed back.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2008
  9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Pro tube is WAY overpriced too.

All these guards HAVE to bend- all vehicles are designed to absorb impact from accidents, if the guard did not bend to absorb the impact your airbags would not trip in many cases and the manufacturer of the guard would be liable in legal matters, both for contributing to injury and defeating federally mandated safety standards in motor vehicles.

These things have been for show only for a long time, like those bed bars they used to call "roll bars".

If you want something that will not bend you need a purpose designed guard, generally a whole bumper replacement is needed and they are big bucks, plus they almost never work with plow setups.