1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody have any luck?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by 7d9_z28, Dec 26, 2010.

1. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

ive got a code 3 MX7000 48" lightbar, and i dont want to drill holes in my roof, anybody ever have any luck using magnets with fullsize light bars? i was figuring on using 4 200# magnets?

2. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

I run a 36" Star Interceptor bar mounted with eight 100# pull magnets and don't have any trouble. I did lots of experimentation before feeling safe with mine including numerous runs at increasing speeds down a road after marking and measuring positions. As you might guess, I didn't want the bar blowing off the roof. The ultimate test was last year driving back up Route 95 from North Carolina. I was doing 80 MPH into a head wind gusting to 35 MPH. Never moved at all.

But, a 48" bar presents a much bigger object to the wind. I don't think I'd ever feel comfortable magnet mounting something that large. Why don't you just use the clamp mounting system most manufacturers offer where you clamp to the inside edges of the door jambs?

3. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

My 48" Federal Signal Street Hawks use two little screws in the top the door behind the seal. The challenge is to have enough power cable to feed down behind the cab and inside. The Street Hawk uses a 1/2" diameter cable.

4. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

my mx7000 has two cables because it has an arrowstick, but it has about 15 foot of cable. and i dont want to drill any holes hence the magnets

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

You don't have to drill holes in the top of the cab. To secure it to the roof you have to have the doors open and then pull back the weather seal. Then put the bracket in place, mark the holes and then drill them. Heres Code 3s PDF on the installation of the MX7000. The gutter mounts are the a little different, but you get the idea.

http://code3pse.com/pdf/install_guides/mx7000_t04813_rev_18.pdf

6. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

i have the pdf for it. i understand that. but i dont want to drill at all, anywhere

7. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

If you use the magnets it is sure to blow off your truck. My buddy knows from experience. I also know from experience. My Buddy had a 36 inch MX7000 on his truck and it took flight and I had a code 3 mini 2100 ledx light bar with 4 120 pound mags blow off my truck and shatter into a million pieces.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  8. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

ive seen highlights blow off roofs too, but those all have smaller magnets. like i mentioned above, i was looking at 200 to 300# pull

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

The bar is taller and sits higher on the truck than the highlighters too. I honestly would steer clear of that idea. I can put it on without putting a hole in the trucks roof or floor. You just have to drill into the door jam behind the weather seal. I silicone everything up too so there is no leaks at all behind the door jam seal. You will never see it. Thats ho all the county cars are done. Otherwise you can get a back rack and install the bar on that.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  10. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

Unfortunately for that size bar, you're really going to have to drill some holes someplace. It's a fairly tall bar to begin with and that's exactly what you don't want. The other reasons I can get away with it on mine is the height (shorter than yours) and the shape (much less lift) and it's 12" narrower. All that adds up to a ton less drag, and drag is what will take it off your roof.

Nothing compares to the feeling of seeing your bar blow off your roof and get crushed by the car behnd you. Do you want to take that chance?

11. ihwild

ihwild Junior Member

It you have a pickup truck why not put it on a rack mounted to the bed. That is what we did with some strobes on a government truck the other day. Since it is a lease we didn't want to drill holes in the roof either. But it had a ladder rack on the back so we just made plates for bolting to the rack. Other wise at the very least maybe you could use a strap to at least act as a safety device. You would have to look at your bar and your doors to see how you could run it so at the least if it lets go it stays with you. The other option is look for some sort of setup like the old luggage racks use with straps with little hooks on the end. It catches the lips at the top of the door and you pull it tight. I just don't know with the newer trucks if there is enough of a gap to allow the door to close over the hook.

Rich

12. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I will get some pics up of my dads MX7000 mounted on his truck and how it is secured. Like mentioned by myself and others you either have to bolt these bars to a back rack or use the straps that are supplied.

13. 7d9_z28

7d9_z28 Senior Member

ended up using the brackets in the door frame. really didnt want to but had to get it done

14. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Really that's the only other option other than using a back rack.