1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Get Tips When Plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MIAWPUKEK, Feb 15, 2005.

MIAWPUKEK Senior Member

Anybody get any tips when they plow driveways or parking lots? If so, whats the biggest tip you ever got? Me........$10.00 Yeah! Beers on me!!! :drinkup:
  2. Boutallnite

Boutallnite Senior Member

I got a few tips when I do exactly what the owner wants and spend enough time doing it. The biggest I got so far was $20.
  3. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

$20 this year on a driveway across the street from a regular customer, plus cookies and nuts. The guy was shoveling or rather chopping away with his 2 daughters and wife, they flagged me down, and man were they happy , especially the wife and daughters, the 15 or 16 year old son was in the house.
  4. GSORK

GSORK Senior Member

15 or 16 year old son was in the house

I have one of those models also :(
  5. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

I had one of those too, traded him in for the general.
  6. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Traded mine for a 1970 chev 3/4 ton 4WD and she could plow snow. That's if I ever take it out of the garage. :)
  7. norrod

norrod Senior Member

I do a small plaza with an old Italian pizza - sub shop. If I plow it during business hours, I rarely get out of there without a big sub or pizza. I feel that I am insulting them if I do not take it :)
  8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I forgot, I got 2 free big breakfast's at the local McDonalds for backing up and dropping the plow and cleaning off the drivethrough lane from the speakers to the pickup window, then after that the Mgr sells me stuff at a discount once in awhile.
  9. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

There are a few older ladies I mow and plow for that bring out the cookies or a can of pop, and the occasional $10 or $20.
    BEST tip ever received wasn't monetary. Christmas Eve and we got slammed with a quick 8" snow. First Christmas I spent away from the family working and I had a daughter that would be seeing her first Christmas Eve without me. I was totally BLUE :( and feeling sorry for myself. I was wondering at what point you stop servicing your customers and tell them to stick it. I chose to plow only the churches (obviously) and driveways and a nursing home we plow. It hit on a weekend and most businesses I had Dec 26 to cleanup before the work week. While sitting in the Bobcat feeling sorry for not being with my wife and firstborne, I saw an old lady and gentleman who was helping her out of the car and back into the nursing home after midnight church service. I jumped out of the cat and helped her to the door. Realizing this may be her last Christmas (she was really old) I could sense how giddy she was about the snow. There were almost tears in her eyes she was so happy exclaiming "I just can't remember the last white Christmas it has been so long. This is just wonderful!" She thanked me so much and that was the best tip ever. It was enough to jumpstart me :redbounce and get me through the night knowing my family sacrifice enabled her and everyone else we plowed the opportunity to enjoy their Christmas. Let's face it, when you are plowing on Christmas it is all about retaining the customers because I would have given back every penny and every inch of snow to be there with my family if I could. But that would lose customers which pays our families bills all year. :nono:
    Sorry about getting sappy on you guys, but sometimes it isn't about the dollars at the end of the snow. Life is bigger than my profit margins. They aren't what make me happy. (Although low profits sure can make you unhappy!)