1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody familiar with western truck side harnesses?, 2014 ram install

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by giggity, Nov 19, 2015.

1. giggity

giggity Senior Member

Ok so I bought a 2014 Ram 2500, I am reusing the 3 plug harness out of my 2010 Ram. My dealer told me I need to install an inline adapter (part # 28027-2) and a relay adapter kit (part #69826-1) with my existing harness. I do all my own installs and am very familiar with Western products. So I installed the harness without these adapters and everything works fine. So can anyone tell me what these adapters are for or what they are suppose to do?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Believe they were for the trucks with HID head lights. I would guess to protect the truck wiring.

3. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Ram doesnt offer any truck with factory HID bulbs.
    Unless you are talking about the LED turn signals in the projector style lights on the sports, laramie, laramie longhorn, and limited.

4. giggity

giggity Senior Member

Dodge does offer HID lights now, but my truck does not have them.

5. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Send me a link please, curious, never saw them offered. I have the factory projectors but no HID. Father in law has a Laramie Longhorn with no HID either.

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Whatever they come with. It has to do with the two different styles of headlights. Have installed plows on two 2015 Dodges so far this year, one required relay kit the other didn't. I just bolt em on, I don't sit around and study the trucks. Thumbs Up

OP if it was required by Western I assume they had a reason for you needing it. Not sure the cost of the kit but would say it is cheap insurance not to mess up something in your shiny new truck.

7. MXZ1983

MXZ1983 Senior Member

Just looked online, 2016 laramie limited has projectors with Halogen bulbs.
    If you know of factory ones that come somewhere else let me know, very interested. Not trying to argue just curious.

8. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

In some cases the relays are to prevent the high and low beams from coming on at the same time. The truck may have two separate bulbs so in high beam mode both light up. The plow uses single H13 bulbs that have high and low beam in one bulb. If both are on at the same time the bulb gets too hot and burns out prematurely. The relays isolate the plow bulbs so only one filament lights up at a time. Either high or low but never both.

9. dstifel

dstifel Senior Member
    from Iowa

I didn't use them either last year or on my truck this year I understood they were for the projector lights haven't had any problems
    On my 14 or my 15

10. giggity

giggity Senior Member

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated!