1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Ever Use These Lights?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DeereFarmer, Feb 16, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I quickly found out just how important warning lights really are. The way my tractor is set up I have a three way switch for all the lights. One setting is just for the amber flashers, one is for just the front headlights and flashers, and the last one is for the headlights and the three adtermarker 55 watt work lights, but no flashers. I am sure I could rewire it so the flashers cam on with the thirs setting as well, but they drive me nuts after a while. I was going to hard wire some strobe lights in or a cig. plug, but I hate doing wiring. I found these battery operated LED lights that look pretty good. I could just put them on the top of the ROPS, press the button and they are on when i need them and I can keep all five 55 watt work lights on as well. I think for $32 each I can't go wrong with tring them.

2. DeereFarmer

Any opinions?
  3. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

My thoughts:

1. First storm you go out in and find dead batteries without spares on hand, you will wish you had hard wired them.

2. Magnets like to slide around when on wet surfaces.

3. You will be adding 13" to the height of the machine. Clearance issues?

4. You will definitely loose cool points.

5. Get over the fear / hate of wiring and you will be much better off in the long run.

6. Why waste money on batteries when you have free power on hand?

7. Lot more to go wrong if they break. Are they repairable?

Just my two cents.
  4. SuperDutyFisher

SuperDutyFisher Member

I have 1 of those lights. It's ok but i haven't really used it. I bought it from Aggri supply. It has bright single strobe flashes. If you want a magnetic amber lights get the LED's that i have on my snowblower, they're the best i've found. They last along time, they have the same batteries from last winter still in them and are very bright. here's a link. http://www.gemplers.com/search.aspx?HKW=led
    www.awdirect.com also sells them. they have a couple video's of it and one of the lights hase an arrow flash pattern.
    I have the ones with the adj. base from Gempler's
    I'll get some pics. of them in the dark soon.
  5. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the opinions guys. If you could get some of those pics SuperDutyFisher that would be great.
  6. 1sthippy

1sthippy Member

Strobe lights

FTO, Give Mike a call and see what he has for lights. Hippy
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

what made you quickly find out that you need warning lights??
  8. DeereFarmer

Nothing really bad. I was stacking the piles at the end of my driveway at around 10 PM. My dad was coming home from somewhere and the way the tractor was positioned at an angle to the road he said that he couldn't see most of the work lights. He said that he could only see the rear work light, but once I started moving he could see them all again. It just got me thinking. I will probably just keep it the way it is for now and then maybe wire something up if it becomes a problem. If people can't see 275 watts of lights than I think they have a problem.:D
  9. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

If they cannot see 275 watts if lights, then let natural selection take over. Does the world good.

Life guard of the gene pool I always say. :)
  10. DeereFarmer

Haha, but it the natural selction process they will take me with them! I love the work lights, they make the night plowing so easy. It is like day. I think before next season I am going to wire in a cig. plug. It would come in very handy to run things in all seasons. I have a Whelen Guardian mini bar that I had on my plow truck last season that I have used about 6 times that i could toss on the tractor.:D