1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody ever plow with a Detroit locker?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Beater_K20, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

i got in a hurry back in July when i was building my derby truck, and needed a full floating 14 bolt... so i pulled the one out of my plow truck, opened the carrier up, and welded the spider gears. now i hated the open rear diff anyways, made the truck completely worthless in 2wd. shortly after, i lost my job, and have not found one yet. i have a couple of options to get the plow truck back on the road... 1) pull the rear out of the derby truck, and run it as is with the welded spiders. or 2) pull the rear out of the derby truck, open it up, pull the spiders, and run the Detroit locker i have sitting on the shelf.

has anybody had any experiences plowing with a Detroit?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Plowed for years with a Detroit in the rear. Fine while actually plowing but unpredictable on the snow covered roadways. All the quirky handling characteristics that a mechanical locker has on the street is compounded on a slick roadway.

An LSD or selectable locker is the way to go, selectable preferably. And definitely advantageous in the front even over an LSD.

3. Beater_K20

Beater_K20 Member

with no job, and no other parts laying around... i may just go ahead and put the Detroit in.