1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody ever installed central hydraulics on a 3500hd

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Blaine4450, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Blaine4450

Blaine4450 Member

I have a 1998 chevy 3500hd dump that currently has an electric over hydraulic pump for the bed. I would like to go to central hydraulics to run the bed and an under tailgate salt spreader. I would like to run a clutch pump and not go with pto. Has anyone ever done this and if so what did it require as far as parts? Do any companies make a ready to install kit? Thanks in advance!

2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I have that system, but it came with the truck.

From what I can tell, these trucks were designed to run an accessory off the motor. On my truck you can see the diagram for the belt routing with or without the accessory which could be a second alt, air pump, or hydraulic pump.

Here's the biggest issue with adding a hydro-system though. It can cost upwards of 4k in parts to put it in if not more. So it might not be cost effective to add it to an older truck.

I have a sub-contractor who looked into this for his Kodiax. He couldn't justify the price, so he bought a snow-ex electric replacement spreader and said it works really well. This way you get your spreader and spend 1/3 the cost over doing a hydraulic set-up.