1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

anybody ever drive to other states to plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kevinwebster1, Dec 28, 2006.

1. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

i know that nebraska, south dakota, and coloardo are supposed to be gettin hammered with snow in the next few days. i keep thinkin i should just drive out there somewhere and help out! does anybody else have the urge or actually do this?
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I have considered but no since I live in Ohio. If I were alot closer, I think I would
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I started a thread on this same topic awhile ago, do a search on "would you travel to plow" or something like that. There were a bunch of responses in there.:waving:
  4. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I'm thinking about it. Kind of like Disaster Relief or FEMA or something, huh? Load up my little trailer with blades and parts and tools and my engine hoist and get yourself a hotel room near 'ground zero'.

5. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

We travel from New jersey to new York for a few jobs, it probably isn't worth it but it all adds up in the end! payup
  6. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

well maybe next large snowfall that is near kansas if anyone here in kansas wants to meet up and get out and plow with me maybe we should do that. have sorta backup help and such. cuz i wanna make some more bank of this white fluffy stuff!!!
  7. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

ok here's a good question....are there any liabilities or fees that i would have to pay for pushin in a different state? or can i just go in and start a pushin?
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

During the Dec.1 "blizzard" that came through here I had two trucks stop me at one of my jobs. They were brothers that said they had come from Indianapolis to help out and make a little money. I don't remember their names, but was able to throw some work their way that had been passed to me from another contractor unable to get his equipment out. I never did hear from them again. Hopefully they made out alright.

They had a black Dodge Ram with a Boss and an older Blazer with a Snoway, anyone around that area sound familiar?
  9. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Could be. I've posted about this before, so hadn't repeated it here. Anyway, first check your insurance policy. Some will restrict how much of a radius from your office you can plow. Second, check DOT regs. You may need to comply with commercial vehicle requirements (does your truck even have Commercial plates?). Check the State, County and City regs for each area you will plow in. You may need to meet business registration requirements. You will also need to consider tax reporting for each State in which you earn income. In addition, you may need to pay tax to the State for any goods sold, which may be seperate from income tax paid at the end of the year.
  10. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

After sitting on my rear for the last month I would go in a heart beat if I could get enough hours to make the trip worth while.
  11. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

Find someone at "ground zero" That will pencil you in as a "sub".
  12. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

If I am not mistaken, DOT regulations get put aside for anyone traveling to assist where a State of Emergency has been declared, which I hear Colorado has just done.
  13. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

well thne lets go to colorado. im down for some extra cash!
  14. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

I'm with Kevin, It's on like my man right here---->payup
  15. BrokenMRanch

BrokenMRanch Junior Member

I have thought about running up to Denver this past week. I only have large farm tractors that I push snow with though so even though I am only 250 miles away it would take around 12-15hrs road time to get there. We are getting about 14-18inches right now so I guess we will stay here.
  16. kevinwebster1

kevinwebster1 Member

14-18!!! psh lucky!!! its back up to 60 here in north eastern kansas. im not sure if we are going to get another snow!
  17. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

I think someone needs help during a state of emergency I would go
    I could sent at least 3-4 trucks and a skid steer too
  18. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I could get a single axel with 11', 1 ton dump with 10', 3 pickups, and 4 skids ready to go if needed. Oh a wheel loader and backhoe if we could borrow a tag alone and a low boy.
  19. johndeereguy

johndeereguy Senior Member
    from Iowa

I am a single guy with nothing to do here in Iowa but complai about it being 55 degrees out. I am willing to travel anywhere if I can put in lots of hours. All new equipment ready but nothing to do.
  20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Way way back when I was younger more foolish I use to follow storms. (late 70's early 80's)

I would start out just pulling people out of ditches along the highway and plow a few gas stations for fuel. When it stopped i would locate someone local and plow a few hours get my pay then move to whichever direction the storm was.

I would work my azz off for as long as the storm stayed active driving to the worst hit spots.

Then most states passed laws against pulling people off the side of the road. Then these old bones just couldn't't handle the extreme driving like it took to not only keep up with the storms before the plowing was done but also I could not handle the lack of sleep any longer like I use to.

Driving in storms constantly is very hard on the body and eyes after a while watching the sun come up a few days in a row with no sleep.

In these days of sue happy people and what it takes to drive to or follow a storm it just is not worth it anymore.

The best I did back in those days was a tad over $10k in 3 weeks time before heading back home.