1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody else

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mole, Feb 14, 2005.

1. mole

mole Senior Member

In western NY having problems with there equipment getting stolen?. The other day my truck was broken into and had my strobe light taken, just this weekend in the Wiilliamsville and amherst area we had 9 trucks broken into. Evey truck had the strobes taken and had there western plows either removed or taken. There also taking the controllers. The police said this has been happening for the past month. They seem to be going after older Western units, because all the have to do is remove the pins to get them off. One company was hit hard, they had 5 plows taken all westerns. The police and other people are saying when parking your trucks to leave the plows up or lifted they will have a harder time to get them off.

KSWART Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. It's kinda funny I was in the western dealer this afternoon on Elmwood picking up some parts and the sales guy there was telling me to make sure and hide my controller or take it out of the truck at night. He said they had a ton of people coming in for new controllers because theres were stolen. As far as I know not much of that goin on in Cheektowaga but lots of snowblowers being stolen.
  3. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Leaving them lifted

I guess it is better to be here with no snow, than to be there and that stuff going on. I would suggest keeping the plow inside, or if you absolutely have to, all the way up. I know it is pretty easy take a floor jack and lift the plow to unhook the chain. It takes a little time, but I suppose if you practice, you could get good at it. Besides, taking the plow of itself takes a little time. If they have the time to do that, then they could do the floor jack thing.

I had to use the floor jack, chain thing when plow was broke. I carry one with me from now on when I plow. Just in case so I can at least get it home.