1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody dealt with Mid-American Salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Showmestaterida, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Looking to see if anybody has dealt with Mid-American Salt. Based out of Indiana . There salt comes from a mine in Morocco. Looking to find some bulk for good pricing.

2. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

As in Morocco, IN or the one in Africa...?

3. Showmestaterida

Africa , They say its the driest salt out there .The call it hot rock. Ive heard before about mositure getting into the salt while in transient in the ship from the mositure in the air out at sea . Not sure if its true . Says its a pink and tan color . Been seeing some discolored salt around the last couple of years since the salt shortage . Seen tan colored salt and its has been very wet . Not sure if its theres or what .

4. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

I think they just changed names as they used to be Midwest Salt. I bought from them a few years back during the shortage their thaw rox, was blue nice stuff. They pulled out of Chitown or Toledo usually. I brought in 100 ton of African Salt from Fricks at the beginning of last year, just had that desert sand tint to it but real dry and clean for sure...

5. Showmestaterida

looked up midwest salt and looks to be a different company . Mid american salt is based out of Fort Wayne , IN.

6. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

Yes they changed from Midwest to their name now... Had the location in Ft Wayne and the one in Chicago.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I have yet to hear of anyone receiving dry salt from Africa.

8. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

9. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

Yep drier then a popcorn fart. Cleanest, driest and most consistant product I had seen in awhile.... My guess is they're still bringing it in this year or surplus from last year.

10. Showmestaterida

was there alot of fines in the salt or was it pretty coarse?

11. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

If I'm not mistaken that's where my salt came from this year. I'll check with my partner tomorrow but I believe the 200 tons We ordered came from MidAmerican. The stuff is incredibly dry and has a pink-ish color to it. A great consistency of different sized bits. Some of the stuff I had seen last year was like dust and would blow away.

I've been mixing my own magic salt with this stuff and it's been great for the few storms we've had so far.

12. Showmestaterida

Did your salt have alot of fines in it . Had some before that was really dry but had lots of fines in it . Not finding to much bulk the last couple of years that didnt have alot of fines in it. Some more dry than others.

13. blaster

blaster Junior Member

We use them. I am an hour south of there location in Fort Wayne it's dry, works as good as any the we have ever used. I had my doubts when I first looked at it it looked like gravel. It just has that brown or tan look.