1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody CB or GMRS Radios? 2 Ways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dr_destructo, Nov 20, 2010.

1. dr_destructo

dr_destructo Member
    from Indiana

Anybody using the GMRS 36 miles radios? Didnt know if they were any better than my old 4 miles units that worked about 500 feet??!! Need to outfit 3 trucks and hate to put cb's in all of them so they can sit for 9 months out of the year, but sometimes I think that cb would be easier than cell for a quick chat.

2. dodge15004x45.9

dodge15004x45.9 Senior Member
    from malvern

CB's can be used year round you just have to turn them on.

3. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Cell phones?

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I agree, cell phones are a real pita, cb's are expensive when your buying 3,4,5, and 2-ways are for pretty much line of site. I decided to buy a portable cb to communicate with a few subs on site, and we already have 3 pairs of 2 ways for my other trucks and employee's so I'm just going that route.

5. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

nextel direct connect. you can turn them off and only pay when you use them. Its cheap for direct connect only.

6. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

Again most cell phones come with blue tooth get an inexpensive blue tooth and use hands free you can work and talk at the same time. I only use my blue tooth on trips and plowing other than that it sits in a drawer waiting to be used.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

We used the 28 mile Motorarola Talkabout GMRS Radios last year. They worked ok at best. We could use them with a little bit of distance, but not much.

Have CB's in the truck now. Hopefuly they will treat us a little bit better.

8. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I require CB's in all of my subs trucks, and I have them in all of mine as well. I find it's easier when trying to talk to more than 1 other person at a time. I have a couple decent 3 and 4 acre lots that are close, and then I just have each site turn to a different channel so there are no mix ups.

9. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

I believe what a few people here are referring to is the push to talk feature in some phones. I know att and Nextel have it. You get the same function as a CB and the distance of a Cellphone. BTW if you go with CB's make sure they are tuned right otherwise you will get the same rang as you do with a 2 way. Common mistake people make, you cant jsut install it and hook it up to an antenna and its all good. The antenna needs to be tuned and you can talk in a 15 sometimes even 20 mile radius

10. Pro Lawn Care

Pro Lawn Care Member

I say CB’s all the way! They have treated me well over the years and you never have to recharge them or put batteries in them. As mentioned you need to tune them to the antenna but it is really easy. I personally run a Cobra 148GTL so I have more than 40 channels, about 120 to be exact and I get at least 20 mile talking range. Even the cheap CB’s work well and really aren’t that costly of an investment if you buy them from say Wal-Mart at $30 each. Just my $.02

11. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Gotta love sidebanders. I used to have one and you can turn the power up on them if you are willing to open it up and play with the cans. I had mine maxed at 12 watts. I know you can get in trouble but hehe

12. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

12 watts? Out of what radio? I'd punch myself if I only had 12 watts cranking out of my radio.

13. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

A CB Radio. Did you not read the above discussion? All CB's only put out 4 watts of power the FCC requires this. I you can get a few extra watts without physically modifying it then thats great

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  14. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Any quick ways to tune a CB setup?

15. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Ya take it to a local outfitters... Some people who work in CB and other radio stuff are still out there. I buy crappy walmart $30 cobra starters and take it to them. They hook it up and tune it for us. A couple hundred and no fees ever beyond that. I just had one retuned.... after it sat for almost 40 years (my fathers old set up)... and it works great. not much$$ and you don't have to mess with it. If you aren't an electrician, specialize in mobile radio/sound, or have extensive CB/VHF background just take it to someone who can do it. It is worth the small amount of time and money. They make a lil cash and you don't have to mess with it. I have my fathers old one in my 1500 and a new cobra basic starter model in my f250. 5 of 8 of my guys also have push to talk but CB is cheaper and 95% of the time we are in range. For the other 5% we use cell phones... I mean we're getting calls all the time anyways.... "your back up alarm is loud by my house" "your reverse lights are shining in my windows" "i've already complained because I have nothing else to do... and you just turned up your dang rock music! turn it down..." Okay everything but the last part is true.... but it might as well be lol. If you need a phone system use phones. I know Boose mobile and virgin mobile are running good specials and boose has push to talk like your talking about. My father and my main guy have it.... I'm stuck under contract with verizon but will get that too. CB is just a good investment because of truckers being on it, some municipalities, and the cheap use... and just having a back up. What happens when your local Cell tower is taken out by ice? do do doo trying to find subscriber.... NOT GOOD. It happened to us once, and I didn't have a back up. The extra sales at the end of the route that are called in were lost, coms with our base were lost, lost my other truck... it was a mess.

Get CB or VHF if you can get it cheap... I still like CB but some like VHF...

Idk... just my opinion/rant

16. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

Yes I did read the above post. The FCC power requirements pertain to the maximum allowable DEAD KEY power output, or your carrier power, but they can swing as high as you want. My current CB will swing up to 150w. But I also use my CB on the amateur 10 meter band.

Back to the OP question, as far as plowing goes I find that using a CB takes too much monkeying with to be helpful. More of a nuisance. I currently use a VHF business band radio with our own channel (actually a friends channel with his permission to use) and it works WAY better than CB's or GMRS. I think it's well worth the money but then again we use it year round. Really comes down to what you wanna spend.

17. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

True but then you are using an amateur radio or a "ham" radio thats down tuned to the CB band correct?

18. Welderguy24

Welderguy24 Member

Eh, that's kinda sketchy when it comes down to the laws, we'll say SURE wesport

19. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

come see me...i have 4 or 5 bullet proof rigs running several hundred watts...i can tune your stuff for ya for free.......just leme know when..you can borrow my meters...no problem brother:mechanic:

20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

barefoot my rigs run 40-50 watts......hot they run endless