1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody Buying New Trucks?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Apr 13, 2007.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I went to the dealer a few days ago "just to look" and that didn't really happen. I found myself test driving an '07 and '08 F350.:D Man, those trucks are sweet. I love the '08s, but I can't afford one right now. I have been thinking about modding my current truck a little, now I am thinking of buying a new one. I talked with my sales guy and we just tossed out some numbers. I could get a brand new '07 fully loaded F350 CC Lariat with the V10 for about $100 to $175 more a month than I'm paying for my '01. If I could find an 06 I would be doing even better. So has anyone bought an '07? Are you satisfied with it? If I could find an '06, would you be worried about buying a new truck that has sat for the last two plus years?

2. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

You're still paying for an '01? How long do you finance your trucks?

As for an '06 sitting for a couple years, if it's still new off the lot, you get 3/36 regardless of when it's purchased. In terms of being an '06 that's been lightly used for 2 years, consider that it's 5 years newer than what you're driving now. If you have a good auto shop you use or are comfortable doing work yourself (I'm definitely not!), I don't think I'd worry too much about any upgrades. An '06 should cost you less for insurance & registration (though I don't know how the commonwealth does things).

3. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

YM

His 01 he just bought used about 1.5 years ago if I remember correctly.

4. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

That sounds pretty good if ya ask me, however if you think (175*60)=$10,500. (assuming a 5 year finance) that could be alot of modifications to your truck that would set you apart from the crowd! Personally, i love your truck (as we have one almost identical, just a PSD) and if your gonna stick with the V-10 there is no advantage to having a new truck that costs more. fuel mileage won't increase, im sure. Also, we all know Ford can have warranty issues, which means headaches. Although warranty covers it, why deal with the downtime? Also, do you need the 350? if it's a personal truck, you'll regret not having the softer suspension of the 250 when unloaded, it'll shake yer fillings out!

Either way, chicks dig the Super Duty!

just my .02 coming from a college student with little income, although it would be sweet to have a '07 or '08 :D

5. YardMedic

That makes a lot of sense -- I didn't want to assume, though I should have asked WHEN he bought it & if it was new.

6. DeereFarmer

Yup, I've only had my '01 for about 9 months now. I haven't passed up a PSD just yet lol. It's just a 5 or 6 year newer truck for a a little more a month sounds good to me. I like the options with the newer ones like the trailer command system and so on. With the rebates right now I feel that it would be stupid for me not to consider it.

7. YardMedic

I'm always a proponent of having a newer truck for dependability. Until now I've only had the single truck, so NEEDING to have something I can rely on for winter has meant that it's newer. I know having a second truck will let me keep things longer, but 5 years has always been my limit til now.

BTW... how does MA pork you guys with new truck registration costs? Relatively small changes in vehicle financing is one thing, but an extra $300-400 at registration time bothers me.

8. DeereFarmer

MA is the worst state to live in, I'm convinced of it. They will nickle and dome you for everything your worth. It would probably come out to be about $150 or so to switch the plate and title it. Then there's the tax. My dealer takes care of all that because they are like a DMV place for the vehicles they sell. It makes it really easy. Then they throw in the inspection. The excise tax is what is really bad. The insurance sure doesn't help me out any. I can't wait until I'm 21 so it can start going down. Under 21 you are at the top of the point system. I'm paying over $2500 a year for non-commercial. I have no tickets and no accidents. I love my '01, but I would love an '06 or '07 better lol. I just need to think ten years down the road. Right now I could probably swing it better money wise than 6 years down the road when the '01 could start giving me problems. By then trucks will be $75K and run on tree hugger juice lol.

9. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

first time out how many different trucks have you had??? it sounds like youve had quite a few in only a couple years do you just get bored of the same truck or what. if i was you i would take that extra $100 a month and use it to modify your 2001

10. DeereFarmer

I have truck ADD, big time lol. I have had 5 trucks in the last 3 years, but two were beaters that I never registered.

11. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

Ha ha, I hate truck A.D.D. But really, that '01 looks stellar. Are you planning on plowing with this "new" truck? i know you say in your sig. that you want a plow, but you can make the same $ with that Deere you've got. (trust me, i run a similar set-up, remember?) instead of spending that cash on a plow, invest in a float so you can move the tractor not only in the winter, but all year long! Those machines are real money-makers if you can run one effeciently! BTW, how many hours have you got on that machine now?

-Mike

12. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

I would keep the one you have for 4 more years. I have truck ADD too, Ive had a dakota, f150, chevy 2500, ford f350, ford f150 and a chevy 2500hd all in 3 years LOL.

From now on I plan on keeping my vechicles 10 years unless I need something bigger. So for now im sticking with my 2000 f350, 2006 2500HD, and my 2001 Explorer. I have to stop buying vechicles. lol

13. DeereFarmer

I probably won't plow with the new truck atleast until the warranty runs out and it get some miles under her.I love the Deere. It's cold, but I love every second of it. I can plow for 14 hours and spend about $25 in fuel. I have just over 200 hours on it. I think the last storm pushed me to 203. You'd never know it. I wash it after EVERY use.

14. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 07 f-350 with the v-10. It is basically the same truck as the 06. I am happy with it feels just like driving my 03. If your happy with the truck you have a new one won't be that different so maybe just go ahead and fix up what you have. If your going to keep plowing with your tractor just put a cab on it. I have been looking at compact tractors with my brother and there are alot on really nice after market cabs available. I like the factory cabs but the after market ones are just as nice or even nicer. The ones we have looked at are priced from 3 to 6k. Just a thought it might make a long day in the tractor a little more fun. I wish I didn't have to plow with my truck but my jobs are just too far apart. If you just have to get a new truck I understand, I get bored too. I have had four trucks in seven years!!! Anyways good luck !!!

15. DeereFarmer

I've thought about a cab for the tractor, but then it doesn't fit in the garage. I have to take the ROPS down as it is. Some dummy (me) measured wrong when I bought the shed.

16. DeereFarmer

Well I found a local dealer that has 20+ '06 Super Dutys. This dealer supplies all local dealers with trucks, so he said my dealer could get it from him and I can buy it from them. I found the perfect truck. Just like my current one only an '06 fully loaded with the 6.0. All I can say is I'm in love! I'm going to sit and think about it for around a month until my new job kicks in to make sure this is what I want. The dealer said he could nock $15K of the MSRP to start with. Before haggling my payment would be $90 more a month than they are now. I could walk out of there with it for about $34,000 before haggling.

17. jsaunders

jsaunders Senior Member

what dealer are you ging to? I'm right over the nh line. $34K fully loaded doesn not sound bad at all w/psd. I payed $30K in 'OO for my xlt 350 reg. not loaded.

18. DeereFarmer

My main dealer is Townsend Ford in Townsend, MA. They are great. They say that further south like it Fall River there are a lot of '06s left. They'll get it for me and I can buy it off them.

19. M&M Services

M&M Services Senior Member
    from midwest

Where are these 06s???? :D I may have to say good bye to Big red as i like to call it...Just kidding if I did that I would :cry: but sounds like you can't beat the deal they are offering for a 5 year newer truck with the PSD!

20. DeereFarmer

My monthly payment would only be $90 more than it is now (of course it is another 3 years longer to get it payed off). With the btter fuel mileage of the PSD I would be saving money in the end!