1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Anybody built wood sides for a Salt Dogg?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GreenAcresFert, Nov 1, 2009.

1. GreenAcresFert

GreenAcresFert Senior Member

Or have any pictures.....I have a the 2 yard elec spreader and would like to squeeze maybe another yard in it. Anybody have any experience with it. Thanks

2. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Many people in my area have done that. I have the 1.5 and built some metal sides for it but two other companies used would on thiers. They just used strap and straped it to the grid.

3. GreenAcresFert

Thanks mike....post a picture if you have one, but thats a good idea strapping it to the grid. How much extra salt and how tall did you build the sides. Also....should i add another shaker? Thanks

4. snowguys

snowguys Senior Member

i just got a snowex 6000 with some wood sides i'll snap some pics tomw and post them

5. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

It will hold around another two 68 inch bobcat bucket loads. That is heaped and spilling. The one thing I will say is that the straps where not designed for that load. A little to top heavy. Handy though! I took mine off because I would not clear some drive throughs! Did you know they will not let you walk through the drive through!!! That is the last thing I want to mess with 10 minutes before the wendys closes! I did like it when i had it. Im pretty sure you could put 2.5 yards on it with 12 inch sides. Thats what I had on it.

6. GreenAcresFert

Thanks for the info Mike....I just noticed were your from...GO BLUE!!!!

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I'll play Devil's advocate: will the extra weight cause the truck to be unsafe? (some salt trucks around here have been over loaded and tipped over.) can the motor turn the chain with the extra weight? It would seem that you would burn it out sooner. Can the truck handle the extra weight and the tie-down points? I had one of my tie-down locations twist from the weight...

8. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

It can be done.

Keep in mind one thing.

When a salt dog clogs........IT CLOGS.....

I have salt dogs and love them........But there is no such thing as a "little freeze up" or a "little clog" with them.

They either work, or youre shoveling.

Thats the ONLY benefit I see to chain drag spreaders is they are much more forgiving if you get chunks in there. They will keep dragging, you can open the door in the back and usually get them uncloged and working from the outside.

9. GreenAcresFert

Another good point...i've shoveled my fair share out of my dogg and they do clog fairly easy, and thought about that extra weight on the auger

10. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=74761

here are some pics of our trucks....

we are going to trim them down a bit for this season, probably take the top 1/'4 off. its pretty easy to throw a tarp on top still, and just throw some salt chunks in the corners to keep the tarp in place.