1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any work in Montana?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by PolyPlowBoss, Dec 11, 2007.

1. PolyPlowBoss

PolyPlowBoss Member

Just letting anyone know that I am available for both backup/emergencies or contractual.
    I am just finishing building my house on Foys Lake and didn't set up any contracts for this year. I didn't want any conflicts. But one more month of construction, and the cash-flow is getting short.

2. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I've got family about 2 iles from you over on Farm to Market. I'll pass the word to them. They know lots o people in the Flathead Valley. HELL, I was swimming in Foy's lake this summer! Friends of the family have a place there.

3. PolyPlowBoss

PolyPlowBoss Member

Hell, I am living off of Farm to Market right now, on Rhodes Draw. I am living here until my new house is finished. I would be willing to give good discounts for family of members on the Plowsite. My phone number is 406-261-3067.
    By the way, I see that you live in Pennsylvania. My first plow truck came from Harrisburg. I Drove it all the way back here, app. 3000 miles. 1985 GMC 7000 dump-truck w/12'blade and towing an 18 ton lowboy. That truck would only go faster than 55 when it was going downhill. The trailer brakes were wired wrong and made the brakes surge on and off with the flashers. When you are on the interstate, you have to turn your flashers on anytime you go slower than 55.
    It was a trip I'll never forget. I even got food poisoning and blew a water-pump halfway home. It was crazy!!
    Anyways, I'll never forget it. Are you getting much snow there?

4. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

Mine live a few houses away from Rebecca Farm. I passed your # along. Are you a local from the Valley? You may already know most of my family if you are. My fav hangout when I visit is the Blue Moon on rodeo nites. 3K miles with a truck and trailer like that? Either you got a ass and spine made of iron or you're as dumb as the rest of us snow pushers on hereLOL:) I made the trip once out and back in a 73 Chevy shortbed with full time 4x4. I didn't think the trip would ever end. And I still had to go back home!

Snow?? What is that? I can't understand the language you speak! Hell No Snow! 1/4" of ice up here on the mtn (elev 790') drop down off the hill and it's just wet and 40 deg.

5. PolyPlowBoss

PolyPlowBoss Member

I am not native, though I've lived here 19 years now. I don't believe that I could handle living very many other places. I was born in California, but haven't been back in 16 years or so. I definitely wouldn't fit in.
    While on that trip, I had a hard time deciding wiether or not I was dumb, or just had something to prove!!?? Talk about thinking the trip would never end. I originally figured the trip would take about a week and maybe $1000-1500 in expenses. Over three weeks later, and well over $3000, I was too far to turn back, but definitely wished I'd never started. Like I said earlier, it was a trip that I would never forget. I definitely wished I had done more research.
    One of the main things that cost me was the mileage. I had originally figured on driving the interstates and large highways, or the more direct route. When the sellers heard that I planned on driving this truck all the way back, they set the truck up to be legal on the highway. To do that, one of the things was the lights on the lowboy. It needed a plug installed on the wiring. They hooked one of the wires up wrong. Every time the brake light came on, the brake also came on. So, consequently, when the flasher were on, the trailer brake engaged every time the trailer lights came on. So it would surge on and off every time the light came on and off.
    So, I would have avoided using the flashers, except that the law says that while traveling the interstate (particularly when driving a large truck), you must use the flashers when you are traveling slower than 55. This truck was in serious need of a tune up and didn't have much torque for the hills. So, I had to keep down shifting to get over each pass. When I used the flashers, it kept slowing me down even more. I'm sure this paints a pretty picture in your mind. The other truckers were getting very angry with me.
    By the time I got to Toledo, I had already figured out that I needed to get off the turnpike before I caused a drive-by or worse, an accident. So, I took I75 to the Mackinac Bridge, then Hwy2 all the way to Montana. This added many miles to my trip, but was for the better. (There were many times I considered abandoning my lowboy to make better time)
    I'm rambling!!
    We aren't getting much snow here, either. Normally, this time of year, we have several inches of snow. Our first snowfall wasn't till recently. What is this, global warming or something. If this keeps up, I'm going to have to invest in firefighting equipment.
    Anyways, make sure your reletives tell me where they got my number, so I can give them priority rates.