1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any weather alerts by text??

Discussion in 'Weather' started by rick W, Jan 3, 2016.

1. rick W

rick W Member

I have been in this business a long time. One of my biggest pains is getting up 4 times a night and checking when there is high probability and also concerns that one of those nights when i had plans (few drinks etc) i could sleep through an event.

With all the tech stuff out there, does anyone know of a way you can subscribe to a weather site and set up a notification of weather?

Example, i am a pilot and in my plane, i have a weather feed that knows lighting strikes are a huge issue, so they are noted and laid over my maps in real time showing location.

If a weather service could allow us to ask for anything in a certain temp (below 0) and precipitation falling..........it would send a text, i would think that would be pretty cool. Any thoughts...anything like this out there?

99 percent of the time I am up and out prior to snow/ice, but a back up for the 1% we are not paying attention or its a fluke would be very cool.

Just a thought...anyone with tips on how you ensure you dont miss or sleep through weather?

2. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

The Weather Channel app allows you to turn on notifications that let you know when it is going to snow/rain based on your GPS location. It will pop up saying snow expected in your area to start at xx time, I think it is usually around 30-45 min before they think it will start.

3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

4. AccuCon

AccuCon Senior Member
    from CT

Setup weather stations at your lots and have them use the 3g/4g/LTE network (or a local wifi, say if you handle a plaza that has a dunkin, starbucks, mcdonalds) to produce real time stats at your locations with alarms....Might be a little geeky but could be done...

Hmmm I'm going to look into this

5. rick W

rick W Member

Thanks

I am toying with the weather channel and weather networks apps and seeing if alerts are reliable and of value.

Detroit metro airport is only a few miles from where i am located so figured someone might have some good ideas on getting real time texts of ice/snow fall reports.

Would be sweet to know there is a reliable back up.

Thanks for the info, will see what proves the best solution.:waving:

6. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

"The weather pros". Has been soliciting us in my area and giving us a free trial of their service. To early to say if they are accurate.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Schneider Electric\Telvent\DTN\Whateverthey'recallingthemselvesthisyear has this option. It was better in the past though. I would still never trust it completely.

I use it because I like their radar, I can do some quick estimating on when precip will actually arrive and it doesn't have the gain cranked up so every speck of dust doesn't show up looking like a tornado as the NWS does.

8. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Mark,

Do you know what a ballpark price is for this service?

Thanks!

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Not anymore, they raise our prices, we complain, they drop it back down. lol

10. absolutely

absolutely Senior Member

Gotchya,

Trying to save myself a sales call.

11. WeatherWorks

WeatherWorks Junior Member

WeatherWorks can help you with detailed storm alerts and 24/7 monitoring with text messages 1-3 hours before snow / ice arrives at your sites. We are located in NJ and service clientele from VA to Southern NH as well as markets in Pittsburgh, Columbus to Cincinnati OH, Indianapolis IN and Chicago Metro IL. Call (908) 850-8600 and ask for Kevin Hopler in the sales department. There is a cost to the service but the investment is worth it for professionalism, piece of mind, safety and company efficiency. Many clients state that the service more than pays for itself in just one storm that catches you off guard. www.weatherworksinc.com.

We also provide post storm verification for billing invoices www.CertifiedSnowfallTotals.com

12. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I know exactly what your saying. Ive been doing this for years and that has to be one of the worst things. I tried having my guys do a every-other night thing but twice they blew it and had I not gotten up out of habit I would have woke up to 5-6" of snow and a lot of po'd people. I've become tight with two other companies and we all kind of look out for each other so now we're all calling each other.

13. WeatherWorks

WeatherWorks Junior Member

Also forgot to mention that we offer 10% off to SIMA Members!