1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any way to get a Old Meyer ST-78 on Titan

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by buzzie8, Aug 18, 2008.

1. buzzie8

buzzie8 Junior Member

I bought a very slightly used ST-78 Meyer Snow Plow today. It sat in the garage for the last 28 years and looks like new other than some surface rust. It was only the blade and the frame attached to the blade with the two hydraulic arms. I found out later in the day (by the local Meyer dealer) that the blade could not be connected to my 2005 Titan. Is the dealer correct? They didn't seem really convinced that it could not be done. I only paid $195 for the blade and knew I would have substantially more money in the lift and other parts. Should I scrap, sell, or try to make it fit!

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Only way that plow will go on that truck is have a forklift put it in the bed:jester:

It could happen. After spending many $ more then a new plow would cost.

3. fedspunisher

fedspunisher Member
    from Iowa

Depends on how good you are with a welder. Fabing up your own mount. Im in the process of doing that but i had a lift frame and already had a truck mount im just making the 2 work together.

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Let's see he's going to have to buy a light kit, adapters, pump, controls, harnesses and hoses. Buy a mount that might be close enough he can maybe get it to sorta fit.Then he'll most likely have to rebuild the angle cylinders. I would worry about the pivot pins. They could be frozen up pretty good.:nod:

Then hope that he'd picked up solid enough mounting points in the right configuration to deal with the multiple variety of various loads inflicted by carrying, angling, pushing stacking, back dragging, turning a plow and snow load exerts.wesport

All on a truck that is a capable 1/2 ton but requires a little ingenuity to design a mount for. Not to disparage your or buzzie8s fabrication abilities, but it's not a easy job.:nono:

So he's got 3K and a bunch of time tied up in a patched together tech's worse middle of some snow evenings nightmare:eek:

Scrap the old Meyer or give it to a museum. Then take the money you'd have wasted and buy a modern era blade designed for the truck.

5. Nascar24

Nascar24 Senior Member

Hi

Yes it can be done without difficulty, but it will be expensive,

You need to Get a Meyer MDII lift frame, with a E47H, or E60H or E57H Pump, Saber lights with all of the wiring and modules, Nissan headlamp adapters, a universal clevis, Nissian Titan mounting brackets, truck & plow side harnesses, controls ( you can use the old toggle switches, and Solenoid) then you have to cut the old attachment hinges off and replace them with the MDII style hinges.

All and all not difficult, I've done it a few times, but your probably looking on spending $1500-$2000 in E-bay items to get it done.

I'll tell you what, bring me what you got and $2400 I've got a nice 7.5' MD II Diamond Poly Edge availble, with everything you'll need.
    http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d105/Yumhaha/75diamond003.jpg

Jay

Last edited: Aug 19, 2008
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Agree it isn't to tough to do and will be very expensive. :nod:

One other tip to add if you take on this venture...

Since your plow is an old conventional style design I highly suggest shortening the A-frame on it while making the necessary mods for the MD2/EZ-Plus lift frame. The old style A-frames are longer than the modern ones and would place the plow rather far out in front of the truck...adds unnecessary extra stress to the truck as well as making the overall length of the truck longer than necessary.

7. swa136

swa136 Senior Member

Am I missing something here? Isn't a Titan a full size truck? Why would anyone want a 6.5' blade on a full size truck?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the reason:

But would agree...too small.

9. lofsfire3503

lofsfire3503 Junior Member

I own a titan and i cant get a plow for it because the front axle weight is not strong enough.. so i bought me a old chevy with a plow.. the only plow that i could put on the titan is a snowway or a light weight boss...but i do large lots so i rather beat up a old chevy than to void my warrenty

10. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

You can get a Snow way for that Titan lofsfire3503 I have seen them many time.

Brad

11. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

OOPPPPPS didn't read all your post I stopped after the first sentence LMAO :D

Brad

12. DODGE-BOY

DODGE-BOY Senior Member
    from OHIO

I have a brand new mount off of a 2007 Titan, take-off, never used. It is the Plus or MDII style. Haven't looked to see if it fits a 2005 yet or not. Let me know if you are interested, I'll look into it further.