1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any way to get a 810/8100 to fit on a Tundra?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by dannyc33, Jan 31, 2014.

1. dannyc33

dannyc33 Member

Havent had any luck with my search for a Ford truck and am serious considering a 07+ Tundra if I could get it to safely and reliably hold a 950 lb plow off the front.

Would upgrading to heavier duty springs do the job, or will there be a lot more work?

I really dont want to raise the truck up or add helper springs that just hold the extra weight up but do nothing to support the load on the front end if I dont have to. The payload seem to be more than enough for what I need, but the front gvrw could use some help.

I assume Ill have to add a tranny cooler too.

2. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

im no expert, but isnt a tundra basically a 1/2 ton truck? if so, the trucks frame, front suspension, wheelhubs ect. are not designed to handle that kind of weight. can you rig it up and hang a thousand pounds off the front of a tundra? ...probably, should you?....no way in hell...obviously the payload of a vehicle is what can safety be hauled in the bed of the truck. that does not translate to being able to safely and reliably handle 1k lbs on the front end

3. indplstim

indplstim Senior Member

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Might work out ok as long as you don't try to lift plow! Seriously, I don't think it's a valid idea. I've never seen anyone plow with a tundra ,maybe homeowner.

5. tpendagast

tpendagast Member

there is nothing wrong with plowing with a "1/2" truck,

In the 80s and 90s, BY FAR most landscapers ran 1/2 tons even for snow.

A tundra will put "1/2" ton trucks to shame of even 5 or 6 years ago...nevermind 20 years ago.

I plows with a 78 150 for years.... 3/4 and 1 ton trucks were rare, duallies were almost always 2wd....

Back then plows were all metal and thick too.

given that however, blizzard has about the heaviest plow I can think of.

If I were to plow with a tundra...

1) dont buy an 07, it was the worst year for them... buy an 08 or newer
    2) blizzard is too much plow for the front of it
    3) add timbrens to the truck (google them)
    4) look at a western pro with manually removable wings.
    there are several new plows out for 1/2 tons these days including a V plow.

IMHO a straight blade with removable wings is the best way to go.

and for the record, we are talking about a "half ton" that has a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs.... my 78 150 was 6800 lbs and a payload capacity of 2,000 lbs... which last I checked was one ton....

Clearly, "one ton" vehicles these days have a payload capacity far exceeding "one ton"....
    But back when the term was coined... those trucks DID have those capacities and "half tons" certainly ran around doing professional landscaper level work, including plowing snow (7.6 and 8 foot plows were the regular back then however)

6. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

A tundra is a 5/8 truck. Bigger than 1/2 smaller than 3/4. Would NOT recommend a 810 on one. Would not recommend anything larger than 8' straight blade on one. They beefed up a few areas on that truck, the front end is not one of them.