1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any way to disengage 4wd while in LO range?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ontario026, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

Like the title says, any easy way to disengage the front end while in 4Lo, to make 2Lo?? I use 4Lo a lot in spring and fall for launching and hauling out boats. My empty trailer weights approx 6500Lbs and then the boats I am handling can weigh in over 10K Lbs as well... I use 4Lo when pulling in or launching at the ramp itself, but I would love to be able to disengage the front axle for 2Lo for manouvering in the yard etc, to take the stress of the front axles etc when turning tight.....

truck is a 2000 silverado 2500 6.0L auto 4x4 ec sb....

2. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

Don't you have push button 4 wheel drive on a 2000 chevy truck. Even if you have a lever, it would still be easier to just take it out of 4 wheel low when you are done unloading it than to mess with trying to get a 2 wheel drive low. The older trucks 88-98 you can get a cable operated front axle actuator and you can have 2 wheel drive low.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

unless you have a older 205 or 203 tcase like 80's and back no.

those units can be modifyed for twin stick to let you run 2wd low.

now you can get a posi lock kit for your front end to get mechanical control of front diff lockout. if you have this you can leave it out and run 4wd low and get 2wd low. but i dont realy dont like this idea.
  4. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

yes it is a push button shift...
  5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The posi lock only works for GMT 400 trucks. Pickups 88-98/00 SUVs 92-00.

Matt - It can be done, for sure. You need to put a switch in that will interrupt the signal to the CAD. I'm not sure which wire it is though....

Maybe someone else with more experience will chime in...
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's the definitin of subtlety you're well known for. :D

Matthew- It is do-able. Just need a toggle and some basic wiring skills, and a little valuable info from me. Oh, and double jointed elbows to get to the T-case control module. :eek:

Your truck has an NVG246 T-case in it correct? How's your wiring abilities?
  7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i'm interested in this thread! subscribed!
  8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I learned from some of the best......