1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Truth To This?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Pristine PM ltd, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Hi, just looking to buy a new 2500HD 4x4 Ext Cab with the LBZ Diesel. The dealer told me that GM won't warrenty this truck if you put a plow on it? Is this true? I also heard that leasing a truck and plowing with it can be a problem if you do not buy it out at the end of the lease, I have always bought my trucks, but this worried me a bit. Any insight would be appriciated. I am in Toronto, so GM Canada and GM USA might be different as well.

2. SnowMan4U

SnowMan4U Member

I sold Chevorlets for four years and here's what I know. If you put a plow on the truck and you break something due to plowing, they won't cover it. If you break something or something goes wrong and there is no connection to the plowing, then you should be fine. Whatever you do, talk to the service writer at the dealership that you're intending on buying the truck from for more info. Each dealer treats this using a large gray area.

I would lease a truck and put a plow on it. All the programs that I ever saw, leasing just never made sense. But putting a plow on it, you would be responsible for anything that wasn't "fair wear and tear".
  3. go plow

go plow Senior Member

i had the same problem,the dealer would not fix my truck, so i took the truck home, unbolted the plow frame, and brought it to another dealer, the truck was fixed the next day!!!!!! dont forget to unplug your plow control in the cab............. dead givaway!!!! good luck...
  4. Plow Prep

I have been told that as long as you have the plow prep package (for like $250) the warrenty will be good!
  5. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Thanks for your replies, one dealer is selling it with the Plow Prep, but I believe it is aftermarket. Another dealer showed me on his screen that he didn't even have the option with the diesel because of the added weight. I was told that the engine would not be warrentied for plowing. Leasing makes sense to us because of Canadian Tax laws, we can write off alot of the expenses this way.

6. ehchvac

ehchvac Junior Member
    from ma

when i bought my truck i wanted diesel, long cab, long bed, and a plow.
    they said i could have the diesel and the plow, but with either a long bed and a short cab or long cab short bed but not both long.
    "long cab = extra cab or crew, or double etc."
    their reason was too long a frame, with too much weight, and a couple of potential large friends in the cab equals frame flex and failure.
    [plpow package was not offered.
    so ,i bought the truck , went back a week later to parts and bought the stuff I wanted and the rest is history.
  7. northwest lawn

northwest lawn Junior Member
    from toledo

just purchased my f350 dump and the dealer said if i put a plow on it the warranty will be voided but if i bring it in without a plow they have to fix it.......go figure
  8. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

just bought a new ford and they had an extened warranty for trucks with plows . i didn't buy it but the extened warranty was only $3,000. I will probably buy it just before my warranty expires. Since they offered this to me i am sure that my warranty covers my truck with a plow on it.
  9. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Anything you tear up becasue of the plow will not be covered. Trans, rear, frame is all the same on a "plow prep" truck as a non plow prep. The onlything they may hassel you about is balljoints, tierods ect. But if you show em you are still under your FAWR and they cant prove that what you did do or didnt do caused the problem then they have to fix it. It totaly depends on your dealer that you take it to though. Some may look the other way regardless and take care of you if its questionable.....some may say your trans aint covered even though its 100% the same on a duramax with or without a plow prep.....then you may have to fight GM and although if you stick to your guns they will cover it if they cant prove that what you did or didnt do casued the prob you will be fighting em and possibly outa $$$ till they reimburse you. Make sense? 99% of it comes down to the dealer. Find a dealer that will work with you;) Your warantee also cant be voided. Even if you bring in your truck with a N2O tank hooked up they cant say, we are voiding your warantee so we wont fix your window switch. They can only deny you coverage on certian parts.
  10. ebonang

ebonang Junior Member

I have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and I made it very clear that I was going to be using it to push snow. It came through with the plow prep package. They build it knowing that a plow is going on it. I had front tie rod break last year and the dealer fixed it (under warranty) no questions asked.
  11. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

As a former dealership mechanic, I can say the best thing to do if you have a trans failure is remove the battery cables, touch them together to draw the power out of the electronics so it clears the computer memory, without freeze data, the dealer has no proof that plowing caused the failure, unless you blow it out all over the parking lot.
    freeze data tells exactly what the truck was enduring at the time of failure.
    we had a guy that was trying to say the trans and rear end just couldn't handle off road use, freeze data showed the left rear wheel doing 103 mph at the time the rear went out and the right front was running 78 when the trans went. Duh! sure we'll cover that. NOT!!
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2005
  12. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

OMG, this has been discussed 4,000,000,000 times on this site, do a search.
  13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I didnt think shorting the cables erased the memory on the new chevys? I know it wont clear codes anyway.

Like I said, same exact trans and cooling ect on a allison truck regardless of plow prep ect. If I had a truck that wasnt equiped with the plow prep and they gave me flak about the trans I would go balistic.

Eating cost of front end parts is the only thing I realy see as a possibility.
  14. RX8_with_a_plow

RX8_with_a_plow Junior Member

2006 w/diesel and plow prep

Hi Jon,

I bought a 2006 Ex cab/short bed with the diesel AND the snow plow prep package so it does exist in the states. If you go to the Fisher site, there is only one plow that they recommend otherwise you will overload the front axel with the diesel and the plow unless you put a LOT of weight in the back. 1400 lbs was the amount that wouldn't overload the front axel with the 8.5'V which is what I got. The advice from the dealer was the same as everybody else has said. If you break it plowing, you own it. If it just breaks, it is under warranty. If the dealer wants to be a jerk about it maybe you should find a dealer that won't be. I opted to throw a set of Timbrens on it for good luck.
  15. Dupesy

Dupesy Member

I think the key here is to not abuse your truck. Plain and simple. I just don't understand what would posess someone to take a $30,000+ vehicle and beat it to hell. I'm not saying you are, or will, but I've seen peope do it, and it boggles my mind. Our trucks will, regardless of make, last a long time and perform well if they're taken care of.