1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any truth to this??

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by SnowMatt13, Oct 18, 2005.

1. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I was told by an installer (reputable company) that yes the Blizzard plows are nice to operate, look good, offer an option that you don't see on any other plow, but........what happens when the "power" portion or wing of the plow is extended and it strikes a stationary object where there is no give involved??? Their answer: you now have a plow that without some repairs (possibly costly) is permanetely extended. They said that everything has to line up nice and straight for the power wings to work....Any thoughts??:confused: Also I was asked that if it were me and I was looking to scoop snow is it worth the extra$$ for a little more capacity than a V-plow.
  2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Check out Blizzards website. There is a great video of them running an 810 into a curb with the wing out. it folds in and back into place. the relief valves kick in just like in a v-plow. Sounds to me like the installer you talked to is worried about the competition.
  3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

If you want to be enough of an animal, you can bend any plow into a pretzel. This was always my fear of Blizzard plows, the sliding assembly. We still have no dealer for them, so I still haven't seen them in person. Sound pretty robust though so far...
  4. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Installer might be worried...they seem to be catching on quickly out here in a mostly Western market. I've seen them and to me it does seem like alot to wreck one....lesson learned, no plowing fast:nono: . And very true, any plow will susstain damage at the right speed:nod:
  5. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

If you hit something with the wing extended there is a relief valve that makes wing fold back. Then if what you hit is still in way you trip blade. I hit many a stumps last year with mine. Never had a problm. But say you do major damage to wing and it is for some reason stuck out. Simply remove wing and continue plowing. Fix it after storm. Break both wings you still have 8' plow. If he isn't a dealer of blizzard i would take what he says as such. If he is a blizzard dealer he is an idiot. Things are made very well, lots of thought went into them. Still going into them for that matter.
  6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Derek, Take a treck over the bridge to Bison Turf in N. Tonawonda or down to Erie for a visit.

As for the question of the first part...If you slam you truck into a wall will it not break???? Will it not still operate albeit bent? Will it not require repair?

Just a though.

Happily slamming 810 and 8611 wings into curbs and obstructions as well as snow for over 5 years and counting.
  7. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

there is not a v that is wide as the blizzard. i for one would not spend the change on a v for what i can;t do compared to the blizzard. the v is great if your busting long drives into the woods... but any plow could still do it.

ive heard of people blowing lines if the wing hits right with enought force but that is still only a few..

ill let you know as winter goes on. this is my first with the 810 and it was western last year. its no doubt 10x heavier than the western and the welding and construction of the blizzard is beefey.

8. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Blizzard Lullaby

Must have been playing somewhere in NE Ohio last December. We had two wicked ice storms and the Blizzards/Meyer were laying down all over town. Remember?

David pumpkin:
  9. scotty2222

scotty2222 Member
    from MI

Don't come playing in Mi right now because my Blizzard/western are laying down all over my back yard. Oh ya thats right it's not time to start plowing. Come on you got to tell me that if there where any plows down that the only one's you seen were the one's you don't like!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Scotty it was true. You know what an ice storm is and we had two. There are not any Blizzards around here yet, I've seen maybe two. Had a chance to buy one this month for a Chevy 3500 dump, but we went with another Boss because of dealer support. Boss has held up well for us. Boss came down from Michigan, right?

There were entire meyer moldboards laying off to the side of the road during and after the storm. A scrap dealer's bonanza.

It's fun to kick on other plows, but I'm all for using what holds up, taking care of it, and making money. Plowing tears up trucks, we all know that, charge enough and put some away.

11. bridge577

bridge577 Member
    from ohio

Dave Ohio
    I tried to send you a message but it won't let me yet. Notice you are in Akro Oh. I am in Munroe Falls I was wondering if I could ask you some questions about the buissness. Bridge577@wmconnect.com
  12. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I creamed a curb (big one) last year while tired and not paying attention. I got out and was afraid to look at the damage. To my amazement, I only rubbed some paint off. This thing is a beast. There is a reason you can use it as a grader in the off season! :salute: