1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any truth to the poor mileage w/the new 6.9 diesel?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by GMSNOW, Aug 14, 2008.

GMSNOW Member

I currently run a 2004 Dodge 3/4 Hemi. For the trailer and load I tow and the size lots I plow it has done the job.

All I hear is that once you have had a diesel you will never go back because of the towing power and the power for plowing.

I am looking at buying a new 2008 3/4 gas/hemi (the same I have now) or there are 2 2007 3/4 with approximately 7500 miles with the new 6.7 Cummings diesel for about the same price.

Is it true about the poor gas mileage with the 6.7 vs. the old 5.9? What would you buy?

Thx for your feedback!!
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the cash and can afford to run a diesel then do it. Diesels dont pay off if you trade trucks often though. A gas truck will do almost anything a diesel will but diesels will handle it better and be more cost effective in the long run. I wouldnt trade my Duramax for anything. It will push, pull, or drag anything I want. There is never a doubt. I am thinking about a new 6.7 next year in addition to my Duramax. Once you get them broke in, the mileage will go up but you wont ever see the fuel economy out of the newer diesels vs. the old 5.9's, the 7.3's, etc. Good Luck.
  3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

lol, i agree with the Swapping trucks, cash statment , but a cummis will out do a 5.9 gas any day of the week, there are tons of things i couldnt do with my 5.9, and the cummis will just keep pushing and plowing thru anything

cant say i can tell you about the new 6.7 motor, but i have a few 5.9 cummis bith 12v and 24 v and the fuel economy is about 17 .. the difference is when you load up a trailer its only 16 .....

my 5.9 gas is like 12mpg empty, and like 8 if your towing....

plowing is even better efficency, and i fill up half as much with the cummis, if you can afford it...go for it, its a bullet proof motor and you never look back