1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any truth to spraying WD-40 to it?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ALarsh, Dec 3, 2006.

1. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

My dealer told me to spray the WHOLE plow down with WD-40 after a storm. Anybody do this? What do you do to it after the storm?
  2. starc

starc Senior Member

I just put mine away and hope it doesn't snow again... Many times I will actually sand blast and repaint the plow late every fall.
    I notice some or possible even most of you guys love plowing snow, I'm more of a hot weather guy and look at snow plowing as a job :(
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I power wash mine and grease the hinges & pins.
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

I wash mine every chance I get to. I have a heated garage and hot water pressure washer which makes it very nice. Waxing the blade a couple times a year isn't a bad idea. WD-40 would make a huge mess imo.
  5. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Hose it down and grease anything tha moves with Fluid Film. I had two years on a Fisher and not one rust spot. I wouldn't use WD-40. It doesn't hold up as well to the elements as some of the other lubricants out there.
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Definetly use Fluid Film! I sprayed mine down weeks ago and its still on there even after washing it down once, the stuff is the best lube I've ever used. We use it on the bottom of our mowers and they still look new even after a full season and the grass comes right off , no more scraping under the decks, just hose it off. My new truck is the next thing to get sprayed down with it.
  7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

I see it as a job. Howerver
    I enjoy Plowing, the first couple of snow falls, as the season goes on I get tired of it
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'm on the fluid film bandwagon.
  9. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

I too start off with the right idea, Fluid Flim all the way, but by the middle, tail end of the season I'm like I'll do it later and it never happens.

I just got a new ATV ( with Plow, for Plowing ONLY ) and rest assured it's getting a Fluid Flim spray down next week.
  10. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

I have never tried the fluidfilm, but I think im going to have to try it, casue all of you guys Love it!
  11. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

After washing I use a liberal amount of wd40, on pins, rams, trip springs, all exposed bolt threads and sometimes the blade edge.

Maybe it doesn't do a damned thing but it makes me feel better.
  12. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Make sure you bring your wallet.

Stuffs expensive as hell.
  13. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I received a sample of the fluid film. It was great. I liked it so much I ordered a case of it.

As far as expense, well, you get what you pay for. I like it alot.
  14. ALarsh

ALarsh Senior Member

I think fluid film on moving parts is a great idea. I thought he was a little crazy to tell me to spray down the moldboard and everything with WD-40. What a mess.
  15. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I am sure it wouldn't hurt anything. It is rather thick and I don't think it would make a mess like wd-40. wd-40 is alot thinner and would have a lot of run off.
  16. HoneyDooYrdWrk

HoneyDooYrdWrk Junior Member

where can a gu go about getting this flud film and how much is it, is it in a can ike wd40 or a bottle or what?
  17. Bry@n

Bry@n Senior Member

I just bought a case of the 11 +oz cans. They are similar if not the same size as the big spray can of wd.

You can order online at the links above or go to there site and call the people.

Real easy process.
  18. ECS

ECS Senior Member

You can get it in an 11 oz spray can (Ithink it is 11 oz) or you can buy it in a 1 & a 5 gallon bucket. The spray can is like $7.50 per can.
  19. Dano50

Dano50 PlowSite.com Addict
    from CA

We are trying to make it easier for you guys to find the product and are on the verge of some big new distribution.
    Thanks for all the great support! :drinkup:
  20. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

Hey, I'm on the WHERE CAN I FIND THE STUFF bandwagon as well. I've been looking for something like that for the last couple of seasons, but have never heard of it before. How far does a can/bottle of this stuff go as far as coating a plow? Also interested in it for my mowers and possibly my 4-wheeler. Thanks, Chuck