1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any tricks to replacing PC board in handheld controller?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sflem849, Dec 22, 2009.

1. sflem849

sflem849 Member

I get to spend $180!!! I have had the controller apart and I saw a white plug hooked to the PC board. I assume this just unplugs and you hook up the new one. Anything different than that? Anything to look out for?
    Thanks in advance

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I see you got a new board....The wire has a plug on the end of it....Easily with your fingers, pull the white piece out of the socket attach to the board.. Remove the old board, and install the white clip into the new board (it only goes in one way). Easily push the clip into the new board without bending any pins. Install the board into the hand held unit in the reverse order of removing the old pc board..

3. twinman326

Let me know the results

4. twinman326

Pc board diagram

pcboardA.jpg

pcboardA.jpg

5. sflem849

sflem849 Member

Cool deal. I know the plug you are talking about. That is the one where I checked for power coming up the cord. My wife should be here in about 20 min with my parts. I am going to go start the truck and get the controller inside.

6. sflem849

sflem849 Member

I got the board installed and everything went fine, but it blew the fuse right away. I never even saw a light on the controller before it blew! What are some possible causes for that?

7. twinman326

something is grounding....That what probably happen in the first place...I know you will tell me yes. But I have to ask. Did you hook up the red wire with the fuse holder on a "accessory" pole in your fuse box? Very important you do that...

Now back to the problem in hand regarding the fuse blown.. That tell me a "hot wire" or a wrong wire that was made "hot somewhere in the plow harness is cross. First, I would check the grounds. ( your book that you got with the plow will show you the wiring diagram to the relays, lights, and what color the ground are.. I believe I had a link to a pdf in your last posting..If not let me know and I will get you one.. Also make sure you put the wire on the pc board correctly (it should of went in easy).If on backward, that might blow the fuse (good thing the fuse blew..protected the board)

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What does "everything went fine" mean exactly? I take it you didn't have a chance to check out the functions before it blew?

Did you rewire that power lead to an ignition source? Double check where he or you wired the control harness through the firewall. Make sure there is no chaffing or broken wires or metal protruding into the harness. How did the harness make it through the firewall anyway?

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Those can't go on backwards, there is a tap to prevent it.

10. twinman326

Also could be the motor relay that blew the fuse. Might be shorted out

Here a diagram of what it look like and what wire are on it and were they go

mtrel.jpg

pretty sure this is the pdf for your truck. Page #8 shows the relay..Pg #18 is the wiring schematic

http://www.westernplows.com/pdfs/63244_032202.pdf

Check to make sure the wires going through the fire wall were cut..They also maybe shorting out there as well

mtrel.jpg

11. twinman326

I know that.I was letting him know.......I know someone who did push a clip onto a pc board backward..he force it.. I just want Sflem to make sure.......

12. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Which fuse did you blow?

if vehicle accy fuse then that circuit is overloaded and you need to move you power pick up point.

If 6 amp fuse then short in red wire, bad controller, bad motor solenoid, or wires to solenoid shorted out.

13. twinman326

He blew the hand held controller fuse..

14. twinman326

Thank you cash for also jumping in..Three heads are better then none..

15. sflem849

sflem849 Member

Went through the firewall in the port where my gauges went through. It is a factory hole "behind" the emergency brake on a Super Duty. It is well protected/no sharp metal.

Hooked up fuse tap in the fuse panel behind the dash/above the emergency brake. Hooked it to the constant side of the fuse (is that wrong?) They are correct, I am blowing the 6 amp fuse for controller.

I just ran to town to get a pack of fuses. I will try a fuse w/o the controller plugged in. Then I will check for power. Then I will hook up controller. This should rule out others/pinpoint controller.

No chance to check functions. I meant everything went fine with the new PC board install.

I downloaded the wiring diagrams from the website and printed them off. They are out in the truck right now. I will go try some things out and report back no matter what. THANKS!!!

16. Crash935

So why did you replace the PC board in the first place? Same issue?

17. RepoMan207

from Maine

18. twinman326

He blew the hand held controller a couple of days later when he had some installer install the plow..The controller was tie into the brake switch for power.

19. sflem849

sflem849 Member

I have the plow, both plow plugs, and handheld controller hooked up and still no power on controller. I never blew a fuse again. Took controller apart and tested for power and I am getting power (13.6 volts) all the way to the small plug going into the PC board, but no controller lights/plow movement on the controller.

20. Crash935

He has other major issues someplace so before trying the controller again, go back through ALL of the wiring from the 9 pin grill connector to the motor solenoid to the 6 pin plug for the controller. Also check for a shorted motor solenoid.

I do assume that you are doing this without the plow plugged in. If the plow is plugged in, unplug it and try the controller.