1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips on finding new customers?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by pongow26, Dec 26, 2008.

1. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

:confused:This isn't my first year plowing but it is my first year plowing on my own wit my own equipment. I am trying to build a customer base and have an ad in the local paper, handed out about 20 business cards(population here is under 5000) and I plan to put out some more flyers, What else can I do? I have only two regular customers although they are friends. Any suggestions??
  2. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

I'd say its a little late in the season to be trying to recruit a customer base. Most people (atleast around here) that want a plowing service are signed into a contract in early november. Are you trying to get commercial contracts or just residential ones? Are there a lot of other snow removal companies in your area? If there are other companies, and your having trouble finding work right now, i'd say give them a call and see if they need a sub for a while. This should get you decent pay and maybe you can learn a thing or two about how they go about recruiting and apply it next year. Just my .02 hope its helpful
  3. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

ok that might be why lol I waited until mid december to advertise. There isn't any plowing specific companys here but all the local construction companys plow mostly commercial. I am looking for residential/small busniess customers only as ionly have one truck and I am not set up to salt or anything.
  4. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

Well a tactic that worked for a friend of mine in ND was calling a local realty company. If the company has a few hundred thousand dollar house that's sitting empty when a 6" snow hits and they need to show it the next day, they're gonna need it plowed and in his case the seller never had a problem footing the bill for a plow job especially if you market it as a way that will help them sell their house. He used this method and has pretty good success with it from what i understand. Other than that i'd say keep putting up fliers and handing out business cards. Give a few to each of your customers and tell them to hand them out to their friends that may need a service sometime. If a 10 cent business card/flier pays off with a $100 dollar plow job then its done its job :) Hope i'm helpin ya out
  5. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

hmm I like that idea. I actually am trying to sell a house at the moment so I will run that by my realitor. Thanks for the help
  6. E.D.

E.D. Junior Member

No prob thats what we're here for.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Start putting feelers out next Sept.then you'll get plenty of work.
  8. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

the realtor one is a great idea, might have to try that out next year but a friend of mine does a thing where he give referal incentives to his customers. they refer someone to you that signs a contract or uses your services and you give them a little kickback...maybe a free push or a slightly discounted rate. I know he picked up an extra 10 accounts or so this year through that method. im thinkin the little bit of money you loose will more then make up for the extra profit/business you pick up.
  9. MIwinter

MIwinter Member

I wrote how much I would charge for a plow job on back of business card and personally handed it to well over 400 businesses. Now I have 2 subs working for me and we all plow commercial for about 6 hours apeice every 2" of snow, then we hit up our residentials for another 4 hours.
  10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Start talking to people in Aug next year and follow up with them later.
    Put your phone # on your truck to maybe get a few calls this year.