1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips for preventing packed-down snow on sidewalks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gus64, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Gus64

Gus64 Junior Member

Hello, first time posting here but have always enjoyed the site.

I'm a Grounds manager for a college and we always have issues on several campus walks and steps: no matter how diligent we are in removing snow the students will stomp on these areas again and again making for solid, packed snow and ice. Last year, I tried a propane roofing torch to break through the snow pack and even that didn't't work too well!

I imagine if I pre-treat these areas with a chemical that may work?

Any suggestions are appreciated--thanks!

Gus from Radnor, Pa.
  2. Pre treating will ne your best friend
  3. Gus64

Gus64 Junior Member

Thanks...I did try spreading some CACL pellets on one walkway. It got ground-up pretty well as the students walked on it. I think a liquid chemical might be in order...
  4. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Have you tried pretreating with rock salt?
  5. Gus64

Gus64 Junior Member

I can try it on my asphalt walks but mostly we have concrete here and I use either CACL or Mag pellets on those...
  6. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Using treated rock salt, or a liquid like magic would be better.
  7. Neige

Neige Sponsor

When you pretreat you effectively remove the chance of the ice bonding to the surface. Once its bonded then it becomes so much more work to get rid of it. An ounce of prevention works well in this case.
  8. KCD Snow Pro

KCD Snow Pro Member
    from IL.

Check out the Ossian LS Liquid sprayer.
  9. Division

Division Member

A big institiution with a small 4x4 atv type vehicle and a 100 + gallon tank in the rear and a boom sprayer would be a good setup for you to spray liquid ice manager down. Pre treating with this and promptly getting on snow blowing/shoveling and treating again will prove to be the best answer!

In a college setting where you have hundreds possibly thousands of people walking through rock salt will eventually kick the large pellets out of the way, wasting your time and money!