1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any tips for adjusting Boss tailgate spreader??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by drpain09, Dec 14, 2009.

1. drpain09

drpain09 Junior Member

I just got a boss tailgate spreader, it has slide controls for controlling amt of material, and a speed adjustent on the cab controller.

I loaded it with 5- 50 lb bags and tried it out. Im using a small granular product called ICE TRAX from the Frantz co in Milwaukee.

I couldnt seem to get the opening small enough to restrict the granules without the wheel stopping.

When I adusted to the smallest size opening that let the wheel spin, it still left a heavy center trail of product. I tried speed adjustment to see if it would send it wider, and it did, but i went thru all the prouct in a realllll short time.

Any tips would be appreciate!
  2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

You really need to use bagged rock salt, if your using that small of product get a walk behind spreader. What is the stuff your spreading? How much a bag? Where are you mainly spreading it?? I have the TGS600 and use bagged rock and have not had any issues other than forgetting to close the feed shute and applied about 50#'s as I drove down the road !!!
  3. drpain09

drpain09 Junior Member

I am using ice trax....which is a small crystal. The dealer said i could use the spreader for this product. It says in the ad on the web site also.

I am using it on my parking lot at my dental office, and id prefer not to use rock salt, so it doesnt get into my office on the carpet.

Plus I have 1 yr old concrete walkways.....
  4. SNO-PRO

SNO-PRO Member

I have a 600 too and run both rock salt and ice melt calcium. Obviously I have to run different settings for both and the rock salt does spread in a nicer pattern but I can succesfully do both. I am not familiar with ice trax but it must be real fine hey? Did you try moving the spinner deflectors around I found that to be key for non rock salt application, I think there adjusted in all the way
  5. drpain09

drpain09 Junior Member

When I get the thing adjusted in, the spinner binds....
  6. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

I have an 1100. I just use the varible speed to adjust my spread, don't ever bother with the slide controls on the unit. I spread solar salt, and mag chloride called Freeze Guard, sometimes Aspen Blue also. I keep them all the way open and leave it.
  7. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I have been using my Boss TGS1100's for 4 years now and really never had to adjust the slide controls either. All I do is adjust the speed if needed. Small product simply comes out faster regardless. May want to use a walk behind like earlier mentioned if your putting too much down.