1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any SUV's out there you can plow with?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lifin, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Lifin

Lifin Junior Member
    from 07869

I was hoping someone out there might know. My husband uses an old Chevy Blazer to plow. The Blazer is on it's last leg. We will be shopping to replace my Explorer but I understand you can't mount a plow on it. I would love to get a new SUV that he can also use to plow. From what I can see you can only use a traditional truck unless the new Blazers allow plowing.

What do you think?

2. fordman

fordman Senior Member

If he likes that type of truck you could just look at buying a newer used Blazer or Bronco, both are good plow trucks. Love their turning radius.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I saw a newer Blazer just last week with a plow on it - looked to
    be a 6.5' blade. Wasn't sagging at all.

This is the "smaller" Blazer - not the full size Blazer that is equivalent to the larger Bronco's.
  4. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

I've seen many S-10 Blazers with plows on them. My first plow truck was a 79 Blazer K-5. That one was almost as good a plow truck as my 93 full size Blazer "Sport". I mention the Sport because that is supposedly a beefed up version of a regular full sized Blazer of that era, but I'm not sure on the details. Its an incredible plow truck. I have friends that have sub for me that were stunned by what that truck can do. Of course I make sure to point out to them that the operator has a lot to do with it :rolleyes:
  5. KenP

KenP Senior Member

I've seen people with Expaditions and Tahoes plowing
  6. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

You can put a plow on a new S10 blazer or a similar size ford. You just have to find a shop that will retrofit a new plow on it. Western and Myers do not make a mount for this style, yet you can have new plow frame fabricated. A Snoway may bolt right on the newer style S10.

EMail Garagekepper, he has done several installs on these style trucks.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

ive seen a plow on a bunch or tahoes. you could jump up to an excursion to plow with. I dont think ive ever seen an expedition with a plow. i dont think they are rated for it.
  8. golfmanres

golfmanres Senior Member

Hummer H2 here at the local caddy dealer, S-10, Trailblazer, Ranger, that is all that i have seen..
  9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

This is what I use.... upgraded front springs, 7.3 auto.

8.5 foot plow

10. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Go with a Excursion.................

In my opinion, it's the only vehicle titled a "SUV" that can TRULY handle the rigors of commercial plowing.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

A K-2500 Suburban is virtually the same as a 3/4 ton pickup. Has same front frame to mount to. Just crank the torsion bars a bit like any other IFS GM product.

The Burbans actually beat many pickups in turning radius too!

A little tough to salt with though! Although a skid of 80's will fit dimensionally, who'd want to hog up the interior of a $40K+ truck?
  12. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

My boss has a 1990 Chevy 1500 Suburban with a 7 1/2' Western on it. suburbans are great for plowing and they do an excellent job. These things could match almost any 3/4 ton just like Tommy said. Anyway, the only disadvantage to plowing with a Suburban is that it isvery long therefore making it very hard to see behind you when backing. :( Otherwise, I would get one myself. :D
  13. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Its kinda hard to see that part of the picture, but where is the cutting edge???? It looks like there isn't one?? :confused:
  14. Sndun

Sndun Member

Jeep Wrangler.
    Plow in the winter, top and doors off in the summer. I do residentials and a few small lots so it's perfect for me.
  15. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I got a Fisher on my 95 S10 Blazer,id get a Snow way next time though,its a bit heavy. I know the Tahoe,GMc Yukon,Suburban all in 1500 and 2500 can all take plows.The Excursion is certainly strong enough too,just a brute to drive other than for plowing,in comparison to the plush refined GM's.Its definelety the best for HD use though,IMO.
  16. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i plow with a k2500 suburban and love it
  17. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

BRL the cutting edge is a little sunk in the soft ground and has frozen ice/dirt mix on it...
  18. vector6

vector6 Senior Member

my S-10 , just for plowing my driveway..