1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any suggestions welcomed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by burbguy, Mar 10, 2006.

1. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

Most of you guys know alot more about plowing than I so being this is my first year and actually only have a few weeks into it. My question is that I currently have a 90 suburban with a 7'6" wesern on it. I do not like the visibility out of the back of it when trying to mauver around driveways. So I am looking at a couple trucks and would like some feedback on them. The first one is a 3/4 ton 76 dodge powerwagon with a 360 and fulltime 4x4. It seems like it would be a good truck. The other is a 83 chevy 3/4 ton with a 6.2 diesel and a fourspeed. I am a diehard chevy guy but am sort of leary on the 6.2 because of stories I have heard of them blowing up alot. Any feedback that I can get would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Emerscape

Emerscape Member

In response to your question, I would try to look into something a little bit newer. The chevys had tons of problems with the diesels all the way through the late 90's. It's not that they are bad trucks but I've heard of soo many horror storys about injectors and such.If your set on a diesel I would really recomend trying to find a late 80's to mid 90's ford f350 powerstroke , or even an old 6.9. If not an older Chevy, GMC or Ford with a 5.9 v8 or 5.7 would serve you well. I would stay away from the dodges untill the late late 90's as the yare known for horrible transmissions Good luck with your search I wish i could be more of help to you.
  3. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

thanks Emerscape for the input. I also felt a little disturbed about the first input. I have been looking on this site for a few weeks and that had to be the one of the rudest comments I have seen. I understand what you are saying about the newer vehicles but I am on a limmited budget and a newer one that is not absolutely trashed around here is out of my price range. Also I have not heard any bad things about Dodge tranny's except for the mid 90's. is it certain model on the older ones that is prone to failure?
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

On the chevy im guessing your talking about a manual tranny? IMO, that wouldn't be fun to plow with, youve got enough to worry about that you have to pay attention to and changing gears will just add to the load and will tire you out faster, just my .02,

If your not talking about a manual tranny, my apologies for sounding like an idiot!xysport
  5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Are you going to be using this truck for either a daily driver or something used often? If so, the full time 4wd will kill your gas mileage. You might want to think about getting a conversion kit for it. I have heard that you can't kill a Dodge Powerwagon. If you are looking for a good beater and have some mechanical knowhow I would go for that regardless of the year. As long as it runs and it not rotted away (and for the right price!). Good luck and welcome!
  6. NEPSJay

NEPSJay Senior Member

Its like underwear preference.... boxers, briefs or bikini. Ford/Chevy/Dodge all have there ups and downs. Just a matter of taste.
  7. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

thanks for the input guys
  8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I had a 74 Dodge Sno Fighter Short bed, full time 4x4, manual trans, 318, engine driven hydraulics. Great truck, I rebuilt the engine, cammed it, 650 Holly, all the goodies. Kept it live until it just got to expensive, needed more then it's value in front end work, the spindles where shot as was the rest of the front end. The Truck had 270,000+ miles on it when I took it out back and shot it, I cried. So i don't think you could go wrong with the Dodge if it's in good shape. Outside of that when looking for a used truck it's all in condition. They all push snow, what is the best deal, do you have a dealer that can support the truck and plow.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

If the Dodge is solid, I would not hesitate getting that one. The old 727 autos are Bullet Prof. I have the same one in my 74 SnoCommander. It will out live the rest of the truck.:nod: The same tranney with a different tail shaft (longer) moves my 68 Charger and I abuse that tranny. No proublems.
    It was when they (Redesigned, LOL) the tranney in the 90's, there the ones that had some problems. I have put new tranneys in my 01, 98 2500's.....
    Just service it every year.( filter/fluid)
    You can put some hubs on the front to help with the millage.

And add a tranny cooler:waving:
  10. burbguy

burbguy Junior Member

well I had a bussy of mine go check out the dodge being it was about 4 hours away from me. He said that it looked rougher than the pics showed, also it had a vibration in the front end so I am not concidering that one anymore. And as for the Chevy it would be nice because of the body(rust and dent free) but the 6.2 is another issue. I have heard of people swapping to a 6.5, anyone done that?
  11. wheeler4x4

wheeler4x4 Member

Depends on your mechanical abilities. Can you do some repairs? An easy alternative if 6.2 blows, replace it with a 350 carbed gasser.(at least it will be quite in the cab)
    Or take a chance on the dodge tranny holding up.
    Crap shoot either way you look @ it.
    Are either truck set up w/plws now?Plows lined up or do you need to locate? Good luck
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
  12. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Personally both trucks are really old---you may have problems getting cheap parts for the dodge. I have owned three 6.2s over the years (still have one ready for the bone yard!) They aren't all that bad you just have to pay attention to them--My weak link was the injection pumps Lost 3 of them on two trucks(also auto trannys go thru one a year-vac pump would fail and the tranny shorly after, but yours would be a stick!). i have never owned a Dodge, but one of my buddy had that truck and ran it a good twenty years before it rotted around him.
    An option would be to wait till the end of April and buy something a little newer--You may even get yourself into the 90's for around 2K--Any piece of scrap if it has a plow will always bring close to a grand--usually these trucks are barely roadworthy, but you never know! I saw some nice trucks earlier in the year do to what they were used for seemed like a deal--commuter and personal driveway trucks---was high milage but the truck was clean and blade was like brand new! If you figure what a new plow setup cost, you may be able to get a decent truck for about half, since the season is about over:mad: Best of luck in your search