1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions on a 600 Car Office Space Parking Lot

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by monacom9, Jan 28, 2011.

1. monacom9

monacom9 Member

I Need Some Help With A 600 Car Office Space Parking Lot
    It Is About 8 1/2 Acres One Dock With A 3 Block Street And A Block Long Side Walk
    I Have A Chevy 2500 With A 8' Sno Way Blade And Was Thinking On Getting A F450 With A Western Wide-out And A V Spreader And A Bobcat S220 To Help Out And How Much Salt Would It Take Per Acre? Or Tell Me What I Should Get
    It Is In Chicago Il
    Thank's For Any suggestions
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

how much material you use depends on the conditions on site, and the quality of product your spreading.

usually anywhere from 600-1000 pounds per acre.

you have to know you own numbers for your own market your bidding in.

and it's pretty late in the season to be acquiring new properties...what happened? the old contractor get canned?...or did they suspend service due to lack of payment?...new property managers?

post a link to the google maps satellite imagery.
  3. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

ya whats going on why the late acusition? I wouldnt recommend doing a seasonal price structure for it unless you can get them to agree to a second year as well. Problem with adding all that equipment is your talking between 30-40k to add all that. Kind of a hard purchase to justify I think, especially for only 1 account? Unless you have more work for the truck to salt. If you get a skid are you getting a push box or a plow? Id recommend one of those kage plows. That way on those long runs you can use the plow, then hook up the pusher when your stacking it or have other areas you need to use it. Id probably use the pusher on a smaller snow fall 1-2 inches, but it really all depends on the length of the push.

What I would probably end up doing is, this. If you can swing the skid loader, get it, and have your truck and a skid steer on that site. On a 1-3.9" snow fall your running about 4 hours in clearing time, Id maybe talk to someone else about getting another loader on that site, and you can just do the clean up work and the road and what not. With two skid loaders you can knock that place out in under 3 hours probably. Then youd have about an hours worth of work for the truck or so doing clean up and that road. As far as salt, like mile high said anywhere from 600-1000lbs per acre. If your doing application pricing bid it no lower than 800lbs per acre. With that said, that lot will take probably 7000-7500lbs per application. You will need at least a 3 yarder to cover that site in 1 load. Thats why I say talk to a contractor about the salting, someone with a dump truck and a undertail gate or something who can knock it out fast. That road wont take you long at all and the walk probably not even an hour depending on the width.
  4. monacom9

monacom9 Member

Going to pay $60000 and 25hr for the 2011-2012 But I have to be there for the whole snow event
  5. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

So you are going to get 60K to finish the season and you owe them 25 hours next winter, Why dont you tell them you want a 3 yr contract since you are bailing them out midseason and that will justify purchasing the equipment.
  6. monacom9

monacom9 Member

Going to pay for 2011-2012 $60000 and plus $25per hr But I have to be there for the whole snow event
    Trying to get a 2 or 3 yr contract
    Thank's for your help
  7. bristolturf

whats the 25$/hour for thats what im not understanding? and its 60k for the entire season reguardless of snowfall? and are you just bidding this now for next season? I dont know what else you do, but Id maybe look at like an old DOT rig instead of a f450. You could really load up some salt in one of those things, you get a huge truck to plow with, plus you can handle all your own salting.

Send your pick up out to other commercial sites to plow. The dump an skid handle the big site, and then you can still send out the dump to plow if needed or just start salting.
  8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

If you believe the $60k figure is a good rate, then you should be able to hire two sub contractors and support and supervise with your truck.
    Why make a capitol investment for just one account?
    If they are looking at new contractors now, you are willing to tie up Tens of thousands on equipment for this job....
    These are reasons why big accounts can sink smaller companies.
  9. bristolturf

I agree with blowerman. If you really want to purchase something, id look into the dump truck whether it be a dot truck or like an f350. If your doing landscape work in the summer whether its installs or maintenance it could be helpful. You can find a nice f350 dump with a plow and even an undertailgate salter for probably 10-12k. seeing as your from illinois, look at obenhauf auctions they always have nice stuff. If you absoulutly need the skid, look at used, you can pick up a good one for 10-12k as well. Id be hesitant to buy the equipment if i didnt have work for it. If you dont buy a skid, look to sub contract a wheel loader for the site, you will end up making more money in the long run. A wheel loader with a 14-16' pusher should be able to handle that site in less than 2 hours. Im sure rates are close since were not to far away.

Around me a skid is getting 90/hour. You do that site with 2 skid loaders for 5 hours thats $450 plus then like an hour on the truck thats another $65-75. Bring in a wheel loader getting $160-175/hour your cost is then $320-350 making some extra bank.