1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any suggestions for a coating for my blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ealbertson, Dec 4, 2004.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson Junior Member

I have a steel plow that needs to be painted. Is there any special paint or coating that would help the snow slide off the plow better?

Thanks for your help, Ed

2. Razorman

Razorman Senior Member

I used a quart of Rustoleum paint (John Deere Yellow) for my meyers plow. I bought at Wal-mart for 7 bucks. Put a nice slick finish on it. Thats what I used on mine.

Front View of Plow 2.JPG

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

rustoleum safty yellow
    john

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I coat mine with WD-40 before I go out to plow.

5. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Try a can of Silicone spray lube and if you use it on your door weather stripping it will keep your doors from freezing shut in a ice storm too!

6. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I usually give it a quick wipe with some light olive oil... then a sprinkle of garlic and savory before about seven minutes on the bbq before flipping...

Ooops sorry wrong coating...

:jester:

7. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Silicon spray works great for me, I will definatly try putting it on the weather stripping.

8. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I have a magazine with a non-stick snow plow liner in it. It's a liner that goes over your plow blade and its colored so you don't need to paint it. Its only like $50. Here is there website
    www.discountsnowplowparts.com

9. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

10. ROYALT91

ROYALT91 Member

rustoleum works just fine

I just Did My meyer with Old Cat Yellow it matches dead on to meyers original color. I painted it two years ago held for a good amount of time seeing what its put through. Just Brush it on do two good coats and after that buy the spray paint in the same cat yelow and hit it once more to ensure everything is covered. good luck
    91 jeep
    4:11 gears
    Powertrax locker
    Chip
    stainless exhaust
    33 swampers

plow 2.jpg

11. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

Plow Coating !!!

I have tried lots of things, I have found that PAM cooking spray works the best. It also lasted the longest......

12. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

how about those western plows? what red is recommended

13. jsydow

jsydow Junior Member

International Red

I just painted my old polar last week with some International red that I got at our local tractor supply store. It looks really good. This is also the color that they used to paint the older fire trucks with! I am going to letter it with something just haven't decided yet? I going to start painting it every year to keep the red bright! I was told to try pam on it after I painted it! I am going to try pam on my 8'2 Boss poly V-plow! Snow sticks to the lower half every once in a while!