1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any southerners or mid-south on site??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by quincy33, Feb 13, 2004.

1. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

This canuck wants to know if there are any southerners on this site, i don't me Floridians, i mean Baltimore, Kentucky, Cinci??? I've always wondered on my drives to Florida, what you do in the winter since it does snow (i'm not ignorant) but not as much as northern u.s or Canada?? I'm assuming your summer lwan care and cutting season lasts longer? Just curious and maybe envious, i hate plowing 2-3 nights a week!!!!

2. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Baltimore a southerner ? I guess it is if your from Canada .
    Kentucky gets snow and ice , sometimes a lot , some times none .
    Most folks grass season here runs from end of March to first of Nov. Most folks consider anyone above the Ohio river a Yankee , and south of it a Rebel ha ha . I f your tired of plowing call me we never get enough . ha ha

3. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

lawn tek, thanks for reply, i said mid-south i think Baltimore is mid-south, i coulod be wrong, you probably think it snows in Canada 12 months straight!!! Anyways wondered where your from Lawn tek???

4. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek Member
    from Ky

Western , Ky , didn't know you had grass in Canada , thought all you did was ice fish and plow snow !ha ha

5. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

good one!!! My parents live in Atlanta, love Americans, best neighbours we could ever have, also like Kentucky, pretty state, so getting back to snow removal, do you guys mostly salt or does it snow enough to plow, ie. do you plow once a week or once a month????? just curious.

6. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Everyone thinks of canada as "The Great White North" and while in many ways it is Torontos weather is the same as some areas in new york state. Toronto does not get lake effect like buffalo. Iam in MA and i think of Blatimore-Washington area as the middle atlantic. By no strech of the imagination the northeast that stops in southern PA if you ask me. Weatherwise baltimore west all the way out to cincinnati and KY can have the same weather as the north but you are more likely to run into a snowless winter in those parts. The inland south can be very snowy in the higher elevations especially in WV.

7. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

cja, where in Mass. do you live , r u having heavy winter, we had rainy warm December followed by extra heavy january, at least it din't snow on superbowl, congrats on your Patriots!!

8. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

In Central Ohio, we mow from the 1st of April through November. Start pruning in Feb, mulch in March, finish leaves in December and whatever else can be done.

9. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

I'm originally from Wichita. Climates are close, winters a couple weeks longer on each end in northern IL, summers a couple weeks longer on each end in Ks. What I miss about being in the southern part of the snow belt is the use of cinders and sand instead of salt. At least thats how it used to be.The snow doesn't accumulate as much in Ks. Usually get some relief between storms, although I've been through storms there that were as bad as the worst i've seen here.

10. quincy33

quincy33 Member
    from toronto

sounds like you guys are busy 12 months also, just longer summer seasons and less winter seasons. funny thing is, in toronto I make more $$$$$ in my 5 month winter contracts than i do from my 7 month summer contracts!!!! white gold!!!!

11. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

This winter has probably been more salting than plowing. We get a bunch of 1" snows, not to many 3"-5" events, if we are lucky, maybe 1 or 2 like that. I'm beginning to wonder if the winter is over for us at this point, the long range forcast does not look to promising for snow. Of course there is always the chance for that late winter event. The only problem with that is, that the next day it could be 40. The most we have had this winter at one time is 3". That is ugly for plowers.

12. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

quincy33: I wish they would put the locations back under the usernames! I live in Randolph which is about 15 miles south of boston. We had two big storms in december one dropped 25". From mid december through christmas was warm and all the snow melted away by new years except for the big piles in the parking lots and stuff. January was bone chilling a few days of subzero temps and weeks below freexing but NO SNOW:angry: One storm that was supposed to be big missed us because it was too cole and since then we have had a few little storms. Now theres a little snow around mainly piles from december and a few small storms. We could get a strom wednesday of this week but i would not count on it. I have plowed 5 times this year which is below average. Overall an ok winter so far we have a couple months to go well see what happens. Glad to see your happy for the PATS! now i just need the red sox to finally win something:D

13. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

The only way that I can see to put where you are from is to go to edit your personnel info, and put where you are from under your signature. I know that Chuck has put alot of time into this, but knowing where you are from seems to be kind of important. Maybe it is going to come at a later date?

14. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

Well, that doesn't work, because now it seems that your signature info doesn't come up on the post? Maybe there are more bugs to be worked out.