1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any running computer chips??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Team_Yamaha, Dec 23, 2002.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I have been looking at quite a few posts, and when looking at everyones sigs. I have noticed that no one is running any computer chips or progammers in their trucks. I was just courious, why no one is?? Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2002
  2. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Don't have a Ford,thats why!Seriously though,i have a 99' chevy and run the Hypertech reprogramer in that,it allows you to use the 165 degree thermostat for one and recalibrates for different sized tires that i use in the summer and winter.
  3. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

I got the Bully Dog 75 HP 4 bank chip. I can get it burnt any where from 50 to 120 HP or 140 HP for racing apps.
    I had a diablo before that.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Team yamaha you'll find that this site isn't like the diesel stop, most people don't list all their mods in their sig like they do over there.

BTW superchips 75hp 150lbft tq. ;)
  5. This past summer when at the dealership I was talking to the PSD mechanic about chips. He showed me a 2002 with 32K miles that was being replaced due to a chip being installed.
    I know this will tick off a bunch of people here and I don't intend to start an arguement here about chips, but the bottom line for this poor soul was he was out an engine.
    Ford blamed the chip.
    The chip company blamed Ford.
    Guess who payed.....
    I don't even buy lottery tickets, I am not willing to gamble my engine.
    Anyway, for me, it has all the power I need.
    I am not downing anyone for using one. There are those of us who always want bigger, better stronger, faster. To a degree I am one. Just not with my PSD.

6. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

If that engine was going to blow it was going to blow WITHOUT a chip. Or else it was driver error and/or lack of maint. I have had a chip on my PSD now for over 100K miles. Still runs strong as the day I drove it home. Total miles is 141K.
    This had to be a fluke case or else there would not be as many chips being made and people using them. This is my opinion for what ever its worth.
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2002
  7. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Isn't high octane fuel mandatory because of the change in ignition timing after a chip is installed? I doubt this applies to diesels but for gassers I think this would be a very expensive upgrade in the long run.
  8. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

Never heard of that for a diesel. Around here there is diesel and diesel. Not much choice for "higher octane".
  9. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Chip?????? What's a chip?????? LOL!!!!!!!

10. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg Senior Member

Like I said Brickman, octane doesn't apply to diesels.
  11. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I have looked into the Hypertech and the JET chips. They both require premium grade fuel to operate as designed. I dont think that 10-20 hp (questionalbe amount of torque increase) is worth the extra money of having to use premium.:confused:
  12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

no, but CETANE does. the diesel guys know what I am talking bout.......;)

13. Mr_Roboto

Mr_Roboto Member

I run a Super Chips Micro Tuner (SCMT) in my Powerstroke. It plugs into the diagnostic port and reflashes the chip (same as the dealer does). The benefit of this is that you don't touch the chip (loose chips kill PCM's), and can be returned to stock programming if you need to take the truck for warranty repair. Fuel economy was unchanged, power was increased considerably. Cost was about $320.00 The SCMT also doubles as a OBDII diagnostic reader. *Also, if you feel the need to go over 94 mph, the speed limiter can be eliminated. I took mine out, just in case. I feel I can limit my own speed.
  14. Brickman

Brickman Senior Member

For the record there is no chip on the stock set up. The slot is there, but in stock set up is just an open hole. So only the computer is being reflashed. I would consider the Micro tuner but any info I have ever seen on them doesn't allow enough HP and torque upgrade for me.

And yes a loose chip or pulling one off the computer with the key on will KILL the PCM. And costs big $$$. Trust me I know.
  15. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Dockboy said whats a chip?? I have the strange feeling he knows what a chip is!! :D ;) Mike
  16. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dockboy is well aware of what a chip is! I dont run a chip because no one has marketed a chip either add on,or reflash style for the Dodge Cummins. I use an add on fueling box,which does the same thing just a little differently. Ialso have a few sets of big injectors that add even more power than the fueling box does.I never put anything in my SIG here about my truck because i figured 99% of the guys didnt care much about it here,if others star doing it,ill post mine, the mod list is about 3 lines long.:D My fueling box is the Power edge Comp.I have the drag version which isnt on their website,but it is available,it doesnt defule above 2700RPM,and adds 40hp at 3200 over the standard comp. http://www.edgeproductsinc.com/dodge.html
  17. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Quit your bragging DiMartino, my stock 6.5 will walk your truck anyday.
  18. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Ya think Mike ;) LOL!!

I asked for, and got unbelievably, a great Christmas gift! Got a Topside Creeper . Ya see, I change my injectors more than my socks, or so my wife thinks!! LMAO! Have a new set of REALLY BIG ones coming next week. Can't wait to use the creeper!.

Oh, and Dino, you name the time and place and I'll be there!!!;) (it'll do low 14's in the 1/4 and getting faster ;) )

19. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Nice gift Gregg! I want one of those too,they are nice ive got it down to 40 mintes to swap injectors now,so its not to big a chore. Your going to have some nice smoke with those BIG injectors.Now you need some N2O to clean them up/add some power.
  20. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

nope he needs propane and propane accessories:D