1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any real point or use in this

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Nov 29, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

2. Workin 25/8

Workin 25/8 Junior Member
    from SD

I would use it for drifts that a straight blade will struggle with. Like a drifted road/drive or blowing back piles that are not frozen. Maybe I'm wrong?

3. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

If your getting paid by the hour you'll make a killing! Maybe somewhere they get light fluffy snow, like colorado, maybe.

4. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer 2000 Club Member
    from Carver

If the wind is not in your face maybe. otherwise you will be changing wipers frequently.

5. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

That's a whole lot of work making something that useless.

6. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I think you should buy one! it looks like fun

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I would use it to clean up after my v plow.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I saw one one an old Bronco two days ago. I knew i should have taken a pic.

Extremely useful for narrow roads where you cant push the snow back far enough. Also practical for wide open areas where you need to pick the snow up and move it rather than just pushing it sideways. There is a reason you see snowblowers at airports.

That particular unit is not powered properly.

9. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

Seems appropriate for where you don't want to tear up the ground with a plow, and for moving piles.

I'm not sure how it differs from tractor-mounted snowblowers, other than the fact that it looks a little underpowered. Some of the guys on here like tractor snowblowers so much they're willing to put them on the rear of a tractor and have to crank their head around the whole time they work.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=141057
    http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=1349485&postcount=4
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=127579

I guess the real point of it is that you don't have to buy a tractor and trailer it to the job site, just drive a pickup that you already have there.

...or did I totally miss something and that's not what's being discussed?

10. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

That's actually pretty cool. Would be great if implemented properly.

I'd be inclined to build a PTO for the truck, low range with a manual transmission, and I think it would be best on the BACK of the truck, since then you'd be able to hang a plow off the front. Plow as possible, then when its just too much, engage the blower on the back in low range.

11. birddseedd

i yhink you would have a real specific need to use this. you could make more money with a spreader

12. jasonv

from kannada

Some people (like me) have a tractor mounted blower and a truck with a plow. Two different machines to do two different jobs. If I needed to use the blower anywhere more than about 2 km from my garage, it would be a big problem.

13. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Nothing wrong with a tractor-mounted blower! I can't begin to imagine how much extra time these goofballs had on their hands to jerry-rig that contraption though!

14. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I like it, it's a neat idea. Someday someone will be marketing truck mounted blowers...and they'll be common. The industry is evolving, inthe past few years I've seen a marked increase in guys who have given up on the plow and gone to blowers, With the right power behind that it could be pretty useful. I can't be 100% sure but I think this video has been a thread topic once or twice.

15. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

with a backblade ot pull away from the garage doors it would be awesome for residentials,...however the one showed looks like he needs to learn how to setup and run a snowblower

16. jasonv

from kannada

I agree completely, which is why I HAVE a tractor mounted blower. Let me ask you this though; would you like to drive around with your plow truck constantly pulling a flatbed with a tractor? Get to your customer's property, unhitch tractor, plow, maybe unload tractor and do some blowing, load back up tractor, hitch up, drive off? Major pain in the a$$ if you ask me.

DONE RIGHT, this would be a pretty cool idea.
    Frankly, though, there are way better options; a 50 hp diesel sharing the truck's cooling (warming) system mounted in the truck bed on a shaft running to a blower that is attached via 2" receiver.

17. OC&D

OC&D PlowSite Veteran
    from Earth

Sure, DONE RIGHT. What they've done here is waste a bunch of time concocting a useless piece of equipment. I never said it was a bad idea overall.

Regardless, a truck mounted snowblower such as this, even if it worked properly, will never replace a plow, nor is it meant to. Something like this would be used in specific, unique situations; the average lot will always be cleared more efficiently with a plow.

18. jasonv

from kannada

Absolutely.
    I keep a blower for emergency use, when you suddenly get dumped on or drifted full beyond what you can handle with a plow. I can't see using a blower for a lot, or even regularly for a road.

There's these drunks down another road not far from me who have this tractor with a front-mount blower they use for clearing a road.... slowly. Idiots probably burn 25 gallons of fuel clearing 3 inches of white stuff down a single lane 3 km road twice a week when they could just plow the road with a truck for a gallon or less, and end up doing a much better job. Mind you, its probably better if those clowns keep their speed under 5 kph. They're ALWAYS TANKED.

Its kind of funny if you can get past the 'scary'/'stupid'. They go out snow blowing drunk and get stuck. The next year they add a marker to EVERY spot they get stuck, as if it is the road that is responsible. I used to maintain part of that road (a part where there are now about a hundred + markers), and NEVER got stuck -- without a single marker. Not saying that I've never been stuck plowing, just never on that segment of road.

19. birddseedd

i dont drink when i plow or dont plow.

20. jasonv

from kannada

Good for you Thumbs Up