1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any REAL light duty plows out there? for 91 f150?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We have a 91 f150, ive had it for years and its always been pretty trusty, little things here and there break down like coolant line replacements etc.

The truck is a long bed, extended cab and NOT 4x4. but considering your average f150 these years have "poor" or car tires at best, i think its got 15x7" stock ford lariat rims and 31.5 Bridgestone dueler a/t Revo tires, it does good in the snow with some weight in the bed assuming its not 20" out, got it stuck that day lol.

We are looking for a 05+ super duty, F-350 diesel crew cab if possible and then im going to have to get either a 8' Boss plow or larger or use my current 8'2" V XT on it and find another for my current F350 diesel.

We will have two f350s and two f150s in service this year and have a lot of accounts. We will also have the one new tractor and im looking to outfit my smaller tractor as a backup with a little snow pusher of some sort if it got real bad out.

Now if one truck goes down, theyre all newer/reliable but you know, anything can take you out of commission for hours, bad/flat tire, trans failure, accident, plow failure, etc.

I want to get something on my old F150 to handle light/small lots if needbe. We have a bunch of lots that are SMALL, like small parking lots and we can plow ever 2-5" 24 hours a day. I know the F150 would push 5" or less no problem. Im not sure about putting a tailgate hitch spreader on it because well the back sits so low, it would drag on the ground lol. But if i could get 2000lbs of salt in the back bed, 50lb bags, it could easily push a few inches with a 7' plow on the front.

I know every company makes 7'6" plows, do any make smaller, like a 7footer to fit the 1991 F150s? Since its a 2wd front also sits low, id have to get spring spacers or something for it.

2. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Boss says they dont recommend any plows for 91 Ford trucks that have extended cabs? just regular cab? why?

Then even if i put in 91 f150 4x4, still nothing shows up under plow selector

Once you go to a 4x4 91 f250, almost every plow shows up lol

A Boss 7' sport duty poly light duty plow is only 372lbs plus the mount weight. If i can raise up the front of the truck an inch or two i think that would fit fine. 400lbs wont make the front sag down much

3. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

The GVWR is higher with a regular cab. With the extended cab their is alot more weight just with the cab, so if you put a plow on it will push it over the GVWR. We have a Western Poly Pro on ours, its 8 years old and has never given us a bit of problems with commercial use. We put F-250 springs in the front of ours. F-150's make great plow trucks.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2008
  4. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Fisher makes a good poly plow caled the Home Steader, and Boss makes a realy nice poly plow to.

5. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

Whatever plow you decide on get one under 500lbs or beef-up front end...

6. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

snoway makes alot of real plows that would fit your truck... pm toby4492