1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any preference to plow tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bounty Hunter, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Bounty Hunter

Bounty Hunter Junior Member

Just bought a F-350, puting a Blizzard 810 plow in front and a Fisher v spreader in the back. I like B F Goodrich all terrain. What do you guys like.

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

My expierence with all terrains has been good until you widen them because wide tires tend to float on the snow and sometimes all/mud terrains do to. Stock is good enough for me

3. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Goodyear Wranglers. I paid $180 a piece. Worth their weight in gold. The fatter the tire, the worse the traction.

4. 2004 f250 psd

2004 f250 psd Member

5. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Our best luck have been with a decent set of all season radials. They are narrow and cut right through snow without floating on top. Little to no road hum. Last along time.

6. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Tall and skinny for snowplowing. Tall and fat for offroading. As for brand for plowing i love my Cooper Discovorer M&S. Tried them for first time last season and have never had such good traction. But if you want a tire for year round use those BFG all terrains are a good tire.

7. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I like the BF Goodrich all terrains too , there a little pricey to tear up plowing, but you use, what you have.

On my 98 Dodge 2500 and boss v plow I use the T/A size 285/75-16s
    and on my 78 power wagon W200 sno-commander I use the M/T in the 35 x12.5-16.5s. The 01 2500 Dodge 8ft Hiniker uses brimstone duller arevios? (spelling) in the 265s size

I know some will tell you there to wide and will float, but think? How fast do you plow? and who much does your truck weight, with the plow on all of your gear, counter weight , and your big butt too don't forget that:D It weights more than enough to push the tread through the snow and slush. plus there tall so you can drive over the top of the snow not thought it.
    I have found stock tires(other than the dealer up grade ones ) to be of little use for plowing as there tread resembles that found on a suv. wimpy, no depth to the tread and the voids are to small to let the water out.

I like a tire with large lugs and high void for plowing.
    There is no perfect tire for every situation that you will encounter :waving:

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto on the Coopers. Never used the BFG's.

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

The BFG AT's are hard to beat unless you go a dedicated snow tire.

10. Bf

BF's are good if they are skinny. My truck had 245's bfg's and it did good in snow. I put 265's on and the bald 245's did better in Snow than the 265's. so i bought the cooper m+S that mark uses. AWESOME TIRE! Plow in 2wd quite often! I have also heard that Nokian Vativa's are awesome in snow, my best friend just bought them i will keep you updated when it snows!

Mark- Your company's name is Ookmos (sp?) landscaping. I think that i saw your big ford and gooseneck at the grand Rapids Gravel building. looks like quite a rig

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Another thing that helps immensely is ballast, it will do wonders even for crappy tires.

firstclass, yes that would've been our truck.

12. Nokian

Nokian directional studded snow tires is what I run. Best tire I have every used in the snow. In the winter I travel over a 8900 foot pass to get to my town that I plow. Many nights I run through 2 foot plus snow over the pass with no State Plow trucks in site. Nokian tires give my traction like I was driving on dry pavement. And on ice they are second to none....

13. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I ran dunlop radial rover RT's and they were great for a At tire. Going to go with coopers next. I prefer to use an american company like cooper or dunlop or goodyear but thats JMO

14. danno

danno Senior Member

I got GOODYEAR A/T S(SNOW) in 235/85/16s. Great tire!:nod:

15. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto from me on the Coopers. Always had good luck, always better $

16. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

pumpkin: I perfer the BridgeStone Winter Dueler myself. My second would be the Coopers or Hakkapelita's. The Bridgestones are an awesome tire, exceptional hookup. That is what I run.