1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any positive thoughts on shoes?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by JFizzle, Nov 7, 2011.

1. JFizzle

JFizzle Junior Member

Hey guys,

I know there are loads of questions on here about "shoes or no shoes."
    I want to hear positive experiences or benefits.

This will be my 8th year plowing. (never used shoes) I started with an older Boss Vee, then had a Western Straight blade for 2 years and went back to Boss.

I currently have an 8-2 Vee that is 6 years old. I am looking for something to make my plowing more smooth. I plow larger commercial stuff (Costco, hospital, etc)
    Each property is in decent shape but the tiniest little lip or crack jolts my plow/truck and makes me swear a lot:realmad:

Both of my Boss plows have done this. The Western did not. It floated over rough stuff no problem. I'm wondering if its the weight of Boss' or the fact that its a Vee or the angle of the cutting edges.?

I really need to be able to plow faster and cant because of the catching and chattering. Its okay if I leave a thin layer of slush. I think I would set them level with the cutting edges or 1/4" below - depending on the property.

Are shoes my answer? I hate the thought of spending $120 on chunks of metal but if it fixes this issue, I'd pay even more.

Also, I've heard people mention they picked some up for cheap at an Auto Parts store. Which store and what are they called?

Thanks guys. Hope eveyone is ready for a good season.

2. icemancometh

icemancometh Junior Member

shoes or no shoes

I have always used shoes with a western and a meyer plow and
    have found the plow pushes and back blades just as well with them on.

they dont have to be high you only need about 3/4 of an inch or less
    between the blade and the ground.

the advantage is you wont catch those driveway cracks and edges and do damage to
    your plow or the drive.
    tractor suppy co has aftermarket ones for about $20
    or the other kind for $30
  3. icemancometh

exception to shoe rule

Edit to my post above it is almost always better to have plow shoes on!
    when trying to scrape snow that has been repeatedly driven on
    and has turned to inches thick ice then i take the shoes off and use the cutting edge right on it the shoes will just ski over that stuff.
  4. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Hows your cutting edge? New style?
  5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Is it "ok" with your customers to leave "a thin layer of slush"?
  6. icemancometh

I find that the snow packs into the 1/2 gap i leave between the plow and ground
    most of the time.

put the blade down on any paved driveway and there will be gaps between the blade and ground i have yet to see a parking lot or a driveway that is perfectly flat.

Just my 2 centsThumbs Up
  7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

You're right, no parking lot is perfectly flat. However, direct contact between the cutting edge and the pavement will drastically reduce the amount of snow pack left behind, thus reducing the amount of salt needed to bare it up completely. Also, making it safer overall. Just my 2 cents. :waving:
  8. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

I ran shoes for 6 years. It increased the life of the cutting edge and the plow didn't trip half as much as it does know. However I used more salt. If you're working as a sub and are doing the cut out work for loaders and a salt crew I would run shoes. If you're responsible for salting and the lots you're working on and the lots are well maintained I would skip the shoes.
  9. gmcsnowboss

gmcsnowboss Junior Member

I thank all for the advice. I just purchaced a 9'2"xt poly v, and the dealr says it doest come with shoes and nobody uses em any how. Hope this is the norm. Both my straights came with em. Any one else purchace one without?
  10. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I have plowed since 1978. I can count on one hand how many times I've used shoes. Did not buy shoes for my 8.2V, Coming up on my 4th season without them. No plans to buy a set either..
  11. gmcsnowboss

I hear ya. I plow mostly rural gravel drives and some folks don't care for packed snow-base. I am curious why they don't at least come with them. For the kind of money you spend they should! As well as smartlock cyls. I chose not to pony up for those either
  12. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

They don't come with the shoes anymore because for the overwhelming majority people, they are nothing more than a paper weight or door stopper. Basically, the manufacturer can reduce the cost of production, without reducing the sale price, thus earning more profit. As for smartlock cylinders, they come standard on any plow my dealer sells. I wouldn't own a boss v without them.
  13. gmcsnowboss

Maybe I should have gone to your dealer. Thanks for the reply

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I found the shoes to work very well to hold doors open.
  15. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Go to the shoe store fizzle,adjust your shoes carefully and progressively so that you're cutting edge is exactly in line with your shoe height.You will notice the plow will be a little more tolerant of pavement imperfections but remember the Boss has a trip blade,NOT a trip cutting edge so it will be a rougher shock to the truck when you hit something.I've used shoes on every single plow I've owned in 37 years of plowing.
  16. tfolsom

tfolsom Junior Member

I plow a few driveways in NH. The folks I deal with are all "sensible" and would rather me leave some snow pack behind and put less dirt out on the lawn. Also, the drives I dealt with are all shallow pitches and have decent sun exposure. So, I have always run shoes.

I top and bottom shim them such that when I pick up the blade, the shoes don't drop down none. I adjust them a little strong (3/8 to 1/2" gap showing under the cutting edge on the garage floor) for the early and late storms when the driveways and lawns are not frozen. The shoes dig in some, but it helps keep the forward edge of the plow from digging in. And I'll raise the shoes in the middle of winter when the ground is frozen (1/8" gap on the garage floor).

I have worn out one set of shoes, but my cutting edge is original and barely smiling at me. Shoes are cheaper than cutting edges.

Its all about matching up to what you are plowing. If I was clearing an asphalt parking lot, I would likely retract the shoes out of the way. But I like having them for the soft ground.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012