1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any other mounts fit '97 Jeep Wrangler?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by matnic, Jan 14, 2014.

1. matnic

matnic Junior Member

hi there. New to the forum and plowing. Just bought a 97 Jeep Wrangler (TJ), 4.0 6-cylinder, 5-speed manual, with some sort of lift (still figuring out how much and what brand). Jeep looks to have had a plow on it at some point, as I see some metal brackets welded to the frame up front that are not stock, and looks to have been cut off at some point. Also noticed the upper brackets that the shocks mount to have been notched (I believe these were to allow for air shocks that can be adjusted?). The people I bought it from didn't plow with it.

I am looking for a used set-up for it, but am wondering if I am limited to set-ups that are for 97-06 Jeep Wranglers, or are there other mounts that are the same? I don't want to have to do any fabrication and would like something that can come off easily in the summer. Only plowing my driveway (30-40 feet, and inlaws 1/4 mile away, 100 feet). Any recommendations on what to look for that will fit? I found a set-up from a 2002 S-10, but don't believe it will fit, right? (still waiting on pics and info on that plow).

Oh, btw, I prices a Meyers plow new and was quoted $3800+ installed! Thats more than I payed for the Jeep! Was hoping to be plowing for under $1100-ish.

thanks!
    Mat

2. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Paying <$1k for a plow generally means you either need to get realllly lucky on craigslist/ebay and find a perfect setup for the price... You find one off another vehicle and adapt... or if you want new, you're stuck with something like the SnowSport style plows.

I've got a friend that plows with his YJ, it's a 2" front receiver mounted SnowSport, it works fairly well, but I wouldn't plow the neighborhood with it.

3. novawagonmaster

novawagonmaster Senior Member

IMO, what you paid for the vehicle is irrelevant to what you pay for a plow. Both have a job to do, and you need to determine, 1) your budget, and 2) how much work are you willing to put in fixing stuff on a used vehicle and a used plow.

I just bought a used 2000 Wrangler and new 7.5' Fisher HT plow. Paid about the same for the Jeep as I did for the plow. Money well spent when you figure what a used unit will cost, the headaches you will have retrofitting it to your vehicle, and the repairs and maintenance on the old unit vs a new unit. New unit also comes with a 2-Winter warranty.