1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any other ideas?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowplower1, Jan 15, 2015.

1. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I have a 2015 f350 that is currently set up to hold 10,400 lbs. I have a salter and have lately been going over by about 500-700 lbs which I figure that isn't a huge issue but i recently picked up a old property which I will need to load my salter by about another 1000 pounds so I was thinking if I add 2 leaf springs to each side I will be set, that's what my dealer told me to do. Any better ideas? I just wanna make sure what I do is the best decision for my truck to handle the weight the best.

2. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

The cheap way assuming you have overloads is to add springs to them not the main spring pack. Adding 2 more leaves to the main spring pack will make the ruck ride like a buckboard.
    Adding air bags would be the ideal thing to do and they don't affect ride while unloaded. You can also adjust ride height when loaded were as with springs you can't

3. snowplower1

Hmm how much do air bags typically go for if i have someone install it?

What do you mean assuming i have overloads?

4. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You can go two ways, just bags and have to bump them up and release pressure at a fitting on the bumper or bags with on board compressor and adjust everything from the cab of the truck.
    Just Bags will run about $300.00 and take maybe an hour or so to install
    The complete system will run about $475.00 and takes about 3hrs to install.
    Check this out to understand more http://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/loadlifter-5000/

These are OEM overloads.

olsprings.png

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can add all the leaf springs you want,but what about the axle and tires?

6. snowplower1

Air bags sound like a good idea. I will have to check to see if i have the overloads you show there.

Would there be anything to worry about for the axle and tires? I have the 3.73 axle if that changes anything. I only will have the load in for around 2 or 3 hours

7. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

F-350's are available with a 11,400 GVW rating, the only difference is the spring pack. Axles are the same and all have "E" rated tires.

8. snowplower1

The 350's are able to setup for 14k if you set it up correctly. My dealer said it would be alright putting something like leaf springs or my choice for what i want. I am pretty sure that axle is okay to put that much weight in from what my dealer told me

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

What kind of sander are you using? I would make sure your tires are good and go easy. 2-3 hours isn't bad. If it really sags go with the air bags..or drive with the plow in scoop..just kidding

10. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Now that is what I would be talking about. Not springs. To me bearing wear is an issue also stopping.

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Hold it...are we not talking about a 1 ton carrying 5 tons ??

You need a bigger truck and do more

12. snowplower1

Lol i see guys carrying 4k more than me when they go to the salt bin. A one ton when setup correctly can have a gvwr or 14k. It's a matter of setting it up correctly. That would be absurd if the 350 could only carry 11,000 pounds when the 2250 can carry 9800 if i remember correctly (it's either that or within that range)

13. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

Your hard limits, Front axle (Dana 60) is rated to 6,000# Rear axle (SRW F350 Sterling 10.5) is rated to 7,280#.

If you are exceeding that, you're burning up bearings etc... I'd load the truck up and weigh the axles, see where you're at. If you're withing those limits, your only hangup is the current spring selection. Add bags or an extra leaf.

14. snowplower1

Also is a 2 yard salter made for putting on a one ton. With my plow on i weigh around 8300 lbs and I need about 3500 lbs worth of salt which would bring me to 11,800lbs

15. snowplower1

Well ik the front axle I have is set, my boss dealer won't even put a plow on if your front axle isn't set up right but the back axle, i cannot see myself ever going over that. If I'm putting about 4000 pounds of salt in including the salter, i can't imagine the bed and frame weighing 3000 pounds.
    Ik the truck without plow weighs about 7000 lbs

16. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

[​IMG]

With my 8.6 XV2 and 760# of sand in the bed, the CCSB F250 weighed in at 9180#. Front axle 5500#, Rear axle 3660#.

My GVWR is 10k, but with factory springs, 6k front, 6100 rear, the truck can move 12,100# and be within it's drivetrain limits.

If your truck is rated for 10.4k, I wouldn't be afraid of putting 11.8k in it, again, as long as it's distributed properly, and you're not overweight on the axles.

As another member said, make sure your tires can handle it, your rear leafs should technically be rated for this already.