1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any Other Controller?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by bigjoe871, Dec 16, 2005.

1. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

So has anyone been able to get any other type of controller to work with the 810? I have the touchpad now and it stinks, I have to look at it to move the plow most of the time. The big box controller was alright, a little touchy i think. I want something new, something that makes sense like a handheld or something that will actually mount on the driver's door and be useful. I can put the current touchpad there, but still have to look to maneuver.

Any Suggestions?
  2. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Hopefully I will be able to tell you soon. I bought the big controler with the joystick and the 2 wing rocker switches becasue like you I felt it would be easier to operate by feel. One thing I will say is the blizzard joystick controller is HUGE but its more ment to be that way I think to make it easy to strap to yor leg ect. The innards dont take much room. I have seen some custom jobs of people mounting the blizzard stuff in doors and custom boxes ect. Cold be done. Wonder what you mean by touchy though? I havent used mine yet.....you mean the joystick itself is really touchy? Duno what could be done with that? Probably could use any "stick" though. Might take someone with a good blizzard knowledge but I dont think the controller uses and special voltages or wierd guts?
  3. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

By touchy what i meant was that I seemed to have to really get used to the straight up/straight down without the blade moving left or right. Just seemed a little too sensitive at times.
  4. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

The perfect controller would be something like a boss vee handheld controller with a thumbstick right in the middle (like the joystick on a playstaytion or x-box) to control up/down/left/right and wire the vee functions to the wings.

5. RHarrah

RHarrah Member

But make it wireless.
  6. prayforsnow

prayforsnow Member

I know exactly what you mean by touchy...:eek:

Looking inside mine it seems the microswitches that control the functions at the bottom of the joystick have a large paddle on them and just a small movement of the joystick contacts the paddles.

I'm currently going to try the different microswitchs that I got at RadioShack...the swing of the paddle is different and I think it will make it harder to contact the paddle...thusly making it less touchy.:rolleyes:

I'll let you know if they work any better...

Otherwise I'm thinkin' you could replace the angle switches with momentary contact buttons, putting them on either side of the joystick, if you think that might work better for you.:nod:

7. prayforsnow

prayforsnow Member

Yes Sir,

I like it...

Changed out the microswitches in my controller for the ones I bought at RadioShack...and I think it was well worth it.

The switches were about $3.00 each, and all you need is a Phillips screwdriver to change them out...

The only difference in the switches is they have three conectors instead of two...just use two of them. Also the paddle was a little long for the close quarters in the controller, so I used a side cutter to shorten them a little.

I put in three, lift, right and left angle...that seems to make enough room at the bottom of the joystick to correct the touchy-ness.

What the hey, give it a try, see what you think.