1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any opinions on the 09' chevy 2500's?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Oct 6, 2009.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

seems like chevy and gm want to sell trucks this month and there seems to be some good deals right now. Any opinions on the 2009 2500's? I was thinking of trading my 02 2500hd for an 09. I don't know what hp my 02 had, but they say the 09's have about 360... seems like that could come in handy. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

2. azandy

azandy Member

Yes, I just traded in my 09 that I bought this spring on another used Duramax. 2007. The truck seemed good but the GM six speed and 6.0 liter had no power and shifted terrible. I would never own another combo like that. I have other 6.0 liters like an 02 that we have and it's fine. Plenty of power. The only good thing about the 09 gas truck I had was the fuel mileage was good. Like around 15-16 highway. My old 6.0 liters only got around 12

3. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

i have an 08 2500hd 6.0 6 speed auto and the thing will push or pull anything we run a 8' fisher with a steel deflector off the top and its scary how much easier it was for this truck to push snow compared to our old '04 2500hd and trailering with the manual mode on the 6 speed makes a huge difference ...but that is just my experience with an 08

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

what about an 04 duramax with 88,000 miles on it or a 09 gas motor with 0 miles on it? Pretty much same money when it is all said and done

5. oh8chevy2500

oh8chevy2500 Senior Member

last diesel that we had was i think a '86 K30 and we had too many neigbors and customers complaining about the stereotypical diesel engine noise ... since then we have had all gas jobs.... am i knocking diesels? no im saying there is a fit for every truck and thats something you have to look in to for yourself...

6. azandy

azandy Member

I feel my 09 was a lemon. GM is awhare of the problem but does not have a way to fix it. When the rep came to drive my truck, there was two more waiting for him to drive as well. They wouldn't buy it back either. I was informed that my lemon law case probably would lose because GM is tring to fix the problem. I need to give them ample time. I choose not to wait and took it in the shorts. They told me it would probably be a year or so before they could rewrite the program.
    I was going to buy a Ford just because I was upset but bought another duramax like I had before

7. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

what were the major problems you felt your truck had?

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

after reading your first post thats what i was thinking, LEMON....cause the new GM 6.0 / 6speed combo trucks we run and that I have driven have TONS of power, and good MPG...just weak front ends.

9. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

If you can score an 04 D-max with only 88K, grab it! You will give up a little in front-end weight reserve, but nothing a set of Timbrens won't fix. I often have people question if my D-max is really diesel because it's so quiet. Nowhere near the stereotypical "diesel racket" that the Ford and Dodge trucks have and the '04 D-max was the best one ever IMHO.

10. azandy

azandy Member

The problems with the 09 that I had was two different things. The first is when starting cold in the morning,( this summer ) It would take about 1-2 miles to not spit and sputter. If this was 25 years ago, I would say the choke didn't stay on long enough. After reaching operating temp, it would run smooth. We tested several trucks and mine was the only one to do that. GM Rep said the snap shot of the engine shows it is with in tollerance. Ok, bigger problem is that it didn't have any power and wouldn't shift properly. Lazy shift, delay shift, it would slip and wind up between gears, wouldn't go into 5th gear when towing. Tow haul or not. Had tons of power off the line if you floored it but normal driving had none. I expected it to run at least as good as our 02 6.0 liter. Someone elses problem now.

11. Rubicon 327

Rubicon 327 Senior Member

I love my 07 Duramax and if you can get 04 with 88k I'd jump on it also.Stay away from the newer models as I hear the regeneration cycle and the particulate filters for the emission system can be a pain without getting into aftermarket fixes for it.