1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any one use ATF fluid? my dealer said to use it

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jo2fst4u, Feb 2, 2004.

1. jo2fst4u

jo2fst4u Member

My dealer said it would be fine to use, I have a western uni mount pro plow. I thought i would ask around. What are the pro's and Con's of useing ATF fluid??

Thanks
    Jeff

2. skmodmsl

skmodmsl Member

I have a Fisher plow and I use ATF. I asked the Fisher dealer about what to use and he said Dexron ATF was what they used on new installs. He said that the Fisher fluid was on the expensive side. ATF is a hydraulic fluid.

3. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I wouldn’t use ATF unless it was an emergency. It works fine as long as the temperature doesn’t get too low. However, if the weather gets really cold, and depending on how much ATF you use in the mix, the fluid-mix could gel, and not flow through the pump. Which would make the hydraulics too sluggish to operate your plow.

I don’t know about Western’s specifications, but some manufacturers recommend Military Specification (Mil. Spec.) 5606 hydraulic fluid, which is useful to –40 degrees. In a pinch, topping the fluid off with ATF shouldn’t hurt, but it’s not a good idea to use very much of it.

4. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

too expensive? $20.00 a gallon is not expensive. if I got a BRAND NEW fisher with ATF I would shyt a brick

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

we run atf in all our plows......fishers, westerns and curtis.......

6. jj112

jj112 Junior Member

I run all Meyers E-47 and E-60's. I learned a long time ago to never put ATF of any kind into that pump. As soon as it goes below 20 degrees it seems to gel, below 10 degrees it won't go through the valves and your plowing is over. I have heard that you can put ATF into the Fischer systems that run off of the truck engine that look like a power steering pump? Good Luck

7. GpGuy84

GpGuy84 Member

ATF works fine for me... i have an old under the hood belt driven pump.

8. hotsprings77

hotsprings77 Member

I think the dealer put ATF in my brand new western MVP plow last month. What color should the nice premo Western fluid look like, ie color. Usually plow when it is anywhere between -5 to 25 degrees. Plow seems really slow, have been using a boss v-plow since the beginning of the snow season, which is much faster. Any help would be great. mark

9. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I run atf in my 8 foot fisher it got down to -10 degrees without a problem.

10. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

that all I've ever run in my westerns. but dont put it in a meyer

11. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

ATF is fine down to 15 outside once it gets down below that I would use good plow fluid . My first Boss V came with ATF but that was when they were under the hood . My Boss V is outside now and I'm not to cheap to spend 10$ for Boss fluid. It last a couple yrs. I can't see not spending $ 10.00 When I make 2K in one storm. I just spent 550.00 for a snow blower and 20.00 for a shovel .

Steve

12. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

i have used it for 20+ years no problems, its a gear pump
    it will move it....your power steering works dont it and that is
    prob a vane pump.....
    :nod:

13. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

yeah the power steering pump is inside i only use atf in western everything else get hydraulic fluid ie meyers fisher

14. shadled

shadled Junior Member
    from SC Pa

I have a Western Cable controled pump and all I use is ATF.

I have read on this site that meyer pumps do not perform well with ATF, but never had a problem with my Western.

15. acornish

acornish Senior Member

call northern supply they have the blue hydrolic fluid for abou $4 a quart works down to -40 deg. Dextron 3 or standard atf frezes at -4 deg.--- thats why auto tranys strain in the cold till they warm up

16. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Theres an old saying that i live by: " Oil is cheeper then metal" ....Rob

17. mylawn03

mylawn03 Senior Member

Seems to me they put 'Western' Hyd. fluid in 'Western' Pumps for a reason...Old plow maybe, but a brand new plow? Never...

18. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I spend the $6.00 per qt. and get Boss hyd. fluid.:waving:

19. landman

landman Senior Member
    from NJ

I know that our western pumps have a sticker right on them that says Change fluid annually use ATF Dextron. Now this is a little round sticker about 1" round right on the top of the pump it was there from the factory. We also have Alot of Meyers pumps too and those you cann not use ATF in.