1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any one start getting ready for 05-06 yet?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, May 16, 2005.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

just thinking today at lunch about getting accounts line up. Any one else start getting accounts lined up yet?

if not when do u start??

What are you doing about gas prices / your rates ?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Already started (read my tag line). Two weeks ago, I contacted last winter's customers to see who wants me for next winter. Told them there might be an increase to cover the increased gas cost. So I've got the basic route established. Dropped a couple of customers to tighten up the route. Started planning how much expansion I want and where. Made a couple more contacts (ie: real estate agent) for potential customers. Planning for advertising strategy. Etc, etc.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I have a few accounts still to bill and several to collect from.
    Truck maintenance/blade overhaul is next on the list- I don't worry about re-confirming for next year until September. Unless I happen to notice a for sale sign at a customer's (got one I need to contact now because of that- try to pick up the new property and retain the old). I retain customers unless they move with no diffaculty- and if I want to drop I simply don't call them for the next season. If they don't hear from the plow guy by the middle of Sept they all call me to make sure I'm ok and still in business- gotta love loyalty. When you do a reliablly good job and price it fairly they hate to have to even think about finding a new plower.

I'm looking into book keepig software and a business computer system over the summer season, so that will be the most work off season plowing related I have done in several years.
  4. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

what have you found that works well for an advertising strategy?
  5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Ready for 05-06, 06-07, and 07-08 already Have some contracts signed for 5 years at a time, some for 3 years and a few for 1 year. and a waiting list incase I ever have 1 that does not renew. I never have to look for customers sence I started offering long turm contracts.
    The best advertising I have ever done is on the side of my equipment.
  6. Hammond Welding

Hammond Welding Junior Member

yes i custom build plows last year was good i learn alot about what i built as well as what im gonna build and how it fits into actual use. my plows are for sale but i have yet to be able to get help to get pictures up chris
  7. dmc337

dmc337 Junior Member

Reminders sent with July billing

I send my friendly reminders with my July billings, then August 1st we send out the letters and proposals to all past customers and the new landscaping customers from this year. Contracts are due September 1st, so it gives them a month to commit.