1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any one running older truck with lift kit

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mikes plowing, May 4, 2005.

1. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I'm looking to put a lift kit on my truck a 3-4in. The problem I find is all I see is 3 leaf springs in the kit. I was told to go with at lest 4. Any one have pic of a lifted blazer or pickup.

2. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I have a 4in lift on my truck and it has six leaf, but it is a 3/4 ton. You can get single leaf springs and add what you need. I also have dual shocks on the front. I had to weld taller ears to the A frame to keep it level to the ground and added three inches to the lift chain. Hope this helps good luck.

720x540_withoutplow.jpg

3. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

swampdonkey do you have any pic of the a frame so I can see how you did it with the ears.BTW the truck looks good. Good to see I'm not the only one running the older trucks.I like them. Thanks for the pic.

4. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I out lined what I added on to keep the frame level. I am in the process of painting my plow, so pics were easy as it is all apart.

I like running the older trucks very tough and easy to work on. Got any pics of your truck :drinkup:

720x540_frame.jpg

5. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

Here's one of the chain where I added on to it :)

720x540_Chian.jpg

6. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I don't have any pic of mine at this time I'll see if I can get some soon. It is a 87 full size blazer, I run a 8' Meyer. I also have 2 bolens that I run one with a blower and one with a small blade. I'll see what I can do abought getting pic of all of it.

7. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

hears one of my truck

truck1.JPG

8. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

Your blazer looks good, did you get your lift kit yet? :redbounce Lifted blazers always look cool!!!! :cool:

9. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Yes that is after it was lifted. Still haveing little things to do to it. It seems you find out what worn parts you have after you lift a truck. How do you think it looks with only 31x10.5 on it? I was thinking of to 33s but dunno. thanks

10. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I have 285's on my Suburban, with a 4" lift. You have to keep the plow frame at the height that it would be if it was non lifted. My truck plowed like crap until I adjusted it properly

11. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

The 31 give you alot of clearance great for getting off the the road and having some fun, 33s would look awesome!! I have 265/75R16s on mine witch is the same as a 31 inch, but I am looking to put on either 285/75R16 (33in) or 305/70R16 (35in). BTW 33in rubber on chrome spoke wheels would look NICE :yow!: :nod:

12. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Thanks I don't know if I want to go with the 33s our not. I could get a good set for around 200.00 but I would have to get bigger rims. I was told mine are to thin for them{ stock wagon wheels} I still have to do some more work to the truck so I'll think abought what I want to do. Abought the plow the meyers has some other holes I can lower it so I'll have to see what I have to do after my work is done.

13. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

You could run the 31s for plowing and 33s for the summer. As for your plow, as long as you can get the push frame parallel to the ground you good to go!

I hope to get my truck painted soon, got a price of $1800 for base/clear coat or $1500 for enamel paint. Got to get a few more prices before I decide.

14. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

Thanks I have to get mine painted to but the color of the truck is going to run me around $60.00 a quart. I don't know what I want to do abought the paint yet. With all I have to do to the truck I'm starting to think it is only a winter time truck, it would help if I could get thing done other then on the weeked. Working 6-7 nights a week get to you after awile. But I have to do it.

15. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I know the feeling I drive a truck between loading, driving and unloading I am working 2am to 3pm. I get home take an hour power nap then pick my kids up at school I let them play for awhile get supper ready then get them ready for bed by 8:30. The wife gets home a 9pm then I get to go to bed and start all over again. By Friday night it's time to :drinkup: :drinkup:

Maybe when the kids can make there own supper I'll have time to work on my truck.

16. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I hear you I dirve truck at night. Some times I start around 23:30 till 06:00 or so and other nights I start around 21:00 till 08:30 or so.The wife lets me do some thing on saterday but that is the only day I can do it.

17. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

I won't drive at night to many damn moose up here, just asking for trouble :gunsfiring:

18. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I hear you. I was told there reall bad during mateing seasion. Did you any prombles with your 4x4 after you put the lift kit on? Just asking. Going to work on the truck in the am when doone at work. Have to look at the steering truck want to wonder in the other lane for some reasion. Let you know what I find.

19. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

Yeah about the middle of October the moose are moving alot, and at night you don't see them until the last second. :eek:

When I put the lift kit in I didn't have any problems. The first one I did on a 79 Chevy I just did the lift springs up front and blocks on the rear, on my 87 Chevy I did lower the brake lines and change the steering arm it made a big difference. Also a heavier steering stabilizer helped too.

Does your truck drift while your driving or braking, if your driving try a dropped steering arm that may help plus it straightens out the steering wheel, or it could need an alignment. If it is when your braking you may new brakes.

I have to work on mine today also noticed a small puddle the front diff. I've already fixed a leaking brake line and a leaking trans cooler line. Aren't old trucks fun.

20. mikes plowing

mikes plowing Member
    from cent pa

I put the steering arm on that came with the kit. It stickes up higher then the oem that was on it. My brother and I did some adj to it to day, I didn't drive it after that so I'll have to go down tonight and see. It only did it when I was driveing and hit a hard bump. We had to fix the steering wheel it was turned up side down. We turned it back so it is in the norm. I came home for a little it was getting to hot out side for me. " BRING ON THE COLD."