1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

any one running bio diesel in there trucks

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Snowguy01, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I have a 2006 cummins and was wondering if any of you are running bio diesel in your trucks and how is it working. My buddy has a 01 and he is running it and it works good for him but that is a older truck and I dont want to mess mine up, our prices keep going up and I wont be able to afford to plow snow this winter with all the fill ups every little bit helps and if i can make it my self cheaper Then i will. Let me know your thoughts on this. I hope someone is making it and running it.

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I don't run it nor will I ever (unless there's no other choice).

3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

i wish i have a bio station close by i would run it all the time i use 2 cycle oil in my fuel with every fill up a 1/4 of oil it helps with milage and noise

4. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I was reading the truck trader and they have a bio plant you can buy for 1500 it makes 45 gallons a day for 80.cents a gallon I just and not sure will it hurt my 06 truck or not

5. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

All of the Love's truck stops in our area are running a % of bio-diesel in their fuels. I think it was 5-10%.

I've run blended bio-diesel in all of my equipment including skid-loaders, turbo and non-turbo. I wouldn't run high percentages in the winter due to gelling. I also use diesel additives.

Hopefully modern engines will evolve to run biodiesel with no other mods. Lowering dependance on foreign oil and also promoting competition will hopefully reduce fuesl prices.

6. blk90s13

little more info ?

7. blk90s13

8. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

but here is another question for ya all is any one running 100% bio diesel

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I ran B100 mixed with about 1/2 tank of regular #2 my 06' CTD and will never do it again. Truck seemed REALLY low on power but it was even quieter than ussual. Smells like a deep frier too. Not worth it to me anyway.
    I would love to keep money going to the farmers but the product just isnt 100% perfected yet, not for my truck anyway.

10. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Actually I was wrong when I said that I don't run bio...I am forced to run it because Minnesota state law dictates that all diesel fuel must have at least 2% of that crap in it. :realmad:

11. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

thats because bio is a detergent fuel. Anything with a higher percentage of 10% cleans your fuel lines so you need to start watching out for clogged filters. If you run bio in a brand new truck that hasn't had time to develop crud in the fuel lines then you will be fine, if you are running anything higher then B10 in your truck make sure you change out your fuel filter after a few tanks, then your lines will be clean and you can run B100 if you wanted to

12. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

u dont want to run bio in the winter. It will gel up like a mother.... and ur basically screwed. Change the filters, unclog the hoses, etc.

13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

When I did it the truck was new, maybe 3,000 on it. Changed my fuel filter soon after just to be safe