1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Any one Plowing this year ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Rain Man, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

Is there any one in the US or Canada making any money this year plowing? here in Pittsburgh the weathers been in the 30s, 40s, and 50s all winter. Hard for it to snow with those temperature :(
  2. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

Kansas City-No money here!
  3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Nothing a few miles north of you either, we've had a handful of events but thats it. We've only gone through 60 tons of salt so far, this time last year we were pushing 100 tons.
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

Plowed about a half dozen times here in NE Ohio all in the month of January 2012. Plowed more than that just in the month of December 2010. January and February 2011 were banner months for me. Glad I have a day job and snow is just bonus money for me !!!!
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Going to the bank tomorrow to deposit my seasonal checks:)
  6. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Me too

Me too, glad to have each and every donation :)
  7. NickT

NickT Senior Member

^^^^Highway robbery :) ....... Wish I had a few of those
  8. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

did you not see the rodent on the 2nd ? 6 more weeks . you guys give up way too easy
  9. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I had 2-3 events this year. We might get some snow thursday though.
  10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I am paid a seasonal rate. payup So the less snow the better since I need over 40 inches before going hourly.
  11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

snow yesterday

Sadly just on the grass not a spot of white on the asphalt or the gravel

nothing since Oct. 3rd
  13. watatrp

watatrp Senior Member

I've been out 10 times so far this season. Surprisingly, I made more money this January than I did last January. Season total for snow this year is right around 50" so far.

FISHERBOY Senior Member

For me 3 snowplowing events and 9 ice controls so far this season
  15. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Only 3 this year and 1bag of salt. On the up side it's only 3/4 of the way through winter. Had snow on Saturday. 4" plowed a few lots
    and that it warmed up to 45°.

I love my Z
  16. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I plowed one time this season. I'm hoping to get enough lawns this summer to carry me through the winter so I'm not relying on snow removal. I'm almost there now but it's getting tight.
  17. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

We don't have seasonals in our market. I can see the up side, but also the down side. I would think the customers would demand a much lower seasonal price next year due to dollars spent this year. I know, factor over multiple years, but even a 3 to 5 year average would mean a 20 to 30% reduction.
  18. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Yep, there is a down side.

Year like last year, I was still bringing money in on my per-push accounts, but my big seasonal ate me up. Luckily the snow fall were bigger each time, so I didn't go through as much salt and did a lot of pushing, but still just squeaked out a profit on it.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm making up for last year, but would like one more short event at 4" or better for my other accounts just to keep me on my toes. Thumbs Up

19. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

No luck here in Northern VA. We've only had 2 events that anything stuck. We've spent more time attaching equipment and taking it back off at each threat of snow than we have actually using it. :(
  20. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I billed 18k in Jan was 3 plow events and 5 salt runs I like to see more salt runs Quick easy money